PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle brake for Savage 10fcp-sr

VEFRANCIS
04-29-2016, 03:26 PM
What is a moderate price/make muzzle brake for this Savage? What brake are you guys using on your .308's? New member hear so be gentle.

darkker
04-30-2016, 07:23 PM
New member hear so be gentle.

Depending upon your ear protection, you may not HEAR much with one. What people around HERE use, varies.

I personally detest them. MZ5 is becoming a frail old bean, and the 308 causes him discomfort now. He used a Badger Thruster, and it worked quite well. The concussion was obscene, but the choice is sound or recoil.

Dennis
04-30-2016, 08:06 PM
Do you one that works, or on just to screw on the end of your barrel?

To get a good one will be around $100.00, a decent one-Harrel's Muzzle Break.

I personally like the 4 port break made by "Muzzle Breaks & More". This one really tamed down my 338 Edge with no accuracy loss.

JMO, Dennis

Bolthead
05-01-2016, 09:30 AM
Darkker, you are absolutely correct about MZ5s 308 barrel with the Badger Thruster. Almost no recoil at all, but I have had a couple of the pistol shooters at the range whine about the concussion.

VEFRANCIS
05-07-2016, 04:37 PM
Thank you for the information and the correction on the word "hear". What about a Surefire ProComp?

darkker
05-19-2016, 02:51 PM
Have a friend with one. I would say the concussion seems less than the Thruster, but seems "louder". Also doesn't reduce recoil as much IMO.

This is unfortunately a bit subjective, and depends upon your use. I refuse to shoot from a bench, I either shoot standing, or get in the dirt and shoot prone properly for recoil management. I don't consider the 308 to be a big recoiling rifle either. When I go out with a few hundred rounds I definitely can feel it in my shoulder, if I haven't shot in a while; but doesn't have me calling for mommy.
There is a gent from Australia, I believe he is the APA Little ******* originator. He has a YouTube channel with a sled and videos comparisons(same rifle) with many many different brakes on it. Again it is all relative, but worth looking into.
Believe his name is TerminatorProducts

geargrinder
05-20-2016, 12:01 AM
Ross Schuler brakes are the best brake for the price. Last I saw he was selling them for $35 shipped.

Newsshooter
05-22-2016, 11:33 AM
Ross Schuler FTW!!! I have two they work great, most of the guys I shoot with use brakes so I'm used to it. I recommend doubling up on ear pro, plugs and muffs. :)

ranger0787
08-09-2016, 01:37 PM
The best muzzle brake I have ever used is from American Precision Arms. My first 338 Lapua(110FCP) I used the "Fat ******* Muzzle Brake" https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/products-page/muzzlebrakes/

DrThunder88
08-09-2016, 02:37 PM
I had a dirt cheap stainless brake that I got off Amazon or eBay or some such on my .300 Win Mag Axis, and it was more pleasant to shoot than my 12FV in .308 Winchester. The magnum Axis also had the benefit of a Boyds stock to deal with the recoil, but it was impressive performance from a brake with an exit aperture so wide that I could safely use it on my. 338 Federal project.

jpdown
08-09-2016, 03:33 PM
Ross Schuler brakes are the best brake for the price. Last I saw he was selling them for $35 shipped.

+1. The Ross Schuler brakes, or same design from www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com works well, looks good, easy to clean and are reasonably priced IMO. My Savage Hog Hunter in .308 is a tack driver off a bipod with one. I used the Accu-Washer Muzzle Device alignment kit from Percision Armament to time it.

ranger0787
08-09-2016, 08:35 PM
Again, The FB Gen 2 brake will probably be the best brake you've ever owned. Look into it. My 338 Lapua recoils less than my 308

Link to YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/tMLMof4P8Hk

"The most effective muzzle brakes on the market just got better! The Gen II muzzle brakes were designed with one goal in mind. We wanted to bring our recoil reduction to those customers out there with currently threaded barrels. These brakes make life much simpler. There are no crush washers, flat washers, or Loctite required. Simply you and a crescent wrench. These brakes need to be ordered caliber specific unless your gunsmith wants to open it up himself. If so please specify "gunsmith model" during caliber selection. It will come in the white with a .295" whole if so.
The Gen II Fat ******* was designed specifically for the 338 Lapua and similar cartridges but is not rated for cartridges based off of a 408 Cheytac similar.
4140 standard steel only
Accommodates muzzle diameters from .850" - 1.0"
Ships parkerized
3.285" long
7 oz
5/8x24 TPI
3/4x24 TPI
18x1 TPI
18x1.5 TPI
Gunsmith model / .295 bore
caliber options when ordering:
.284 / 7mm
.308 / 30 cal
.338 338 cal
Gunsmith model / .295 bore

Iowa Fox
08-12-2016, 11:39 PM

It's really hard to beat Ross' brakes. He is still selling them for 35 shipped and for that money he will open them up for your caliber and tapper the brake. If you want him to index the brake to your barrel your going to have to mark and pull the barrel and ship it to him. Darn freight is high on barrels. I got one a couple months ago and comparing it to other brakes I have and after shooting it, its the best regardless of price. Noise is something you get used to. I've sat on the line next to 7mm Dakota, 28 Nosler, 7mm-300 WM, and 6.5-284 and such chambered in XPs. As mentioned plugs & muffs.