PDA

View Full Version : Savage PC 223

pahoghunter
04-29-2016, 11:41 AM
I have a Savage PC in 223 and the other day at the range I had a cartridge that wouldn't fire (heads up you to put powder in EVERY case) :nevreness:,I noticed that the crosshairs moved. My front rest is firm which I understand isn't a plus, would a new firing pin and spring cure this? thanks Bob

JW
04-30-2016, 08:30 AM
I would suspect the scope might be the problem if everything else was in order
firing pin and spring would have nothing to do with it
Jack

Robinhood
04-30-2016, 03:54 PM
There is some information that is ambiguous. How firm is your rest? Is it permanently affixed to the shooting table with clamps holding the rifle in place? Wouldn't or did not fire? What brand and model scope? How heavy is your trigger?

pahoghunter
04-30-2016, 08:06 PM
There is some information that is ambiguous. How firm is your rest? Is it permanently affixed to the shooting table with clamps holding the rifle in place? Wouldn't or did not fire? What brand and model scope? How heavy is your trigger?

Rest is a Seb not fastened, it fired after I got rid if the cartridge that didn't have powder in it, scope is a Leupold 35x Competition, approx. 2lbs.

JW
05-01-2016, 06:36 AM
Rest is a Seb not fastened, it fired after I got rid if the cartridge that didn't have powder in it, scope is a Leupold 35x Competition, approx. 2lbs.
You have not stated how much the cross hairs moved-- I have too ask did you check scope mounts?
With that much magnification I am sure you will see the cross hairs move with your heart beat. It is probably going to move some when dry firing
Try dry firing the rifle in different "hold techniques and see what happens ex: free recoil, tight hold, loose hold, soft rest, hard rest, rear rest , no rear rest, etc
My terminology might not be correct but you get the idea
That being said, if your technique is good and rifle is grouping ok don't worry about it
I have found that my technique is the weak link--- practice practice
I hope this helps
Jack