PDA

View Full Version : Floating a barrel on an LRP

donnell1972
04-25-2016, 08:34 PM
I am new to this forum and new to this savage 12 LRP in 6.5 creedmoor. I am starting to love the round, just haven't started loving the groups yet. Today at the range it hit me that maybe I need to float my barrel. With a magneto speed, I shot a five shot group with an SD of 1.4 and an ES of 4. I am impressed with these numbers but shoot 1/2 MOA group. The load is 42 grains of 4350 and 16thou of the lands.

Question is: How many of you have floated a barrel on your 12 LRP or is it necessary? Should I bed the action or leave it the way it is?

I am looking forward to the answers that I get from this. Just looking for experienced people that have had a 12 LRP.

drybean
04-25-2016, 08:43 PM
Have you checked to see if you have any contact between the bbl an stock
try shooting without the magneto speed
try adj. your seating depth
1/2 moa is good for a factory bbl.

tric3imagery
04-25-2016, 08:43 PM
I am new to this forum and new to this savage 12 LRP in 6.5 creedmoor. I am starting to love the round, just haven't started loving the groups yet. Today at the range it hit me that maybe I need to float my barrel. With a magneto speed, I shot a five shot group with an SD of 1.4 and an ES of 4. I am impressed with these numbers but shoot 1/2 MOA group. The load is 42 grains of 4350 and 16thou of the lands.

Question is: How many of you have floated a barrel on your 12 LRP or is it necessary? Should I bed the action or leave it the way it is?

I am looking forward to the answers that I get from this. Just looking for experienced people that have had a 12 LRP.
Can you run a dollar bill or whatever all the way under the barrel to the action?, if yes, than I wouldn't my buddies 6.5 has <1MOA at 100yds but shoots tight a consistent out beyond 450yds.Reloading is all about repeatability in brass,bullets, powder,primer more things that our exact better shooting.IMOP

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bunky-Shooter
04-26-2016, 07:52 AM
If your rifle came with the HS Precision stock it should have a aluminum bedding block which makes for a very stable mounting for your action.Your barrel should be freefloated as this is one of savages premium rifles... With wooden stocks and synthetic stocks bedding would definitely help you out. Continue with your load research (brass, bullets, powder) to find the very best the gun and YOU will do. For most of us this is a slow process that takes time. Sounds like you lucked up with a good load. Doe a latter test with 41.5 , 41.7 and see if things improve are get worst. If your rifle is stringing you should get torque driver and change your torque values to tune your action. research, time and practice