PDA

View Full Version : Should I Have Savage Take A Look?

Pages : [1] 2

rkoeneke
04-25-2016, 09:44 AM
Bought a 10 FLCP-K a year ago, and I have tried everything I can think of to get it to shoot. However, I can not get it to produce a 5 shot group under 1.75 MOA.

Let me immediatley address the first thing that I think is coming into your mind "Maybe the problem is you dude!". I am capable of shooting sub MOA groups. The 11 I just picked up in 223 loves 60gr V-Max and I consistently shoot 1/2 and even 3/8ths inch groups with it.

Now back to the model 10. I have run all sorts of factory ammo through it including the following. Federal GMM 168, Hornday A-Max 168, Sako Super Hammerhead 150, PPU Match 168 HPBT, Freedom Munitions 168 A-Max, Freedom Munitions 178 A-Max, Nosler Blassitic Tip. The best I ever get is a 3 shot group at about 1.25 MOA.

Also the rifle fouls up pretty quickly, and once it gets dirty I start getting lots of fliers. I have to clean it about every 50 rounds to keep the groups together. The gun probably has about 200 or so rounds through it so far.

So what do you guys think? Is it worth sending it back to Savage to have them take a look at it, should I sell it, or should I rebarrel it?

Thanks for your input. Here are a few pics. As you can see, the equipment I have paired with the rifle is top quailty stuff.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo100/rkoeneke14/IMG_0047.jpg (http://s365.photobucket.com/user/rkoeneke14/media/IMG_0047.jpg.html)

Yesterday I took the ammo it likes best and went out and shot 10 5 shot groups, here are the results.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo100/rkoeneke14/IMG_0063.jpg (http://s365.photobucket.com/user/rkoeneke14/media/IMG_0063.jpg.html)

gbflyer
04-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Have you tried it on bags only, that is to say without the bipod? It's been my experience that many of the factory synthetic stocks are a little floppy in the forearm area and will not perform as well on a bipod as they do on bags.

To me, what you have there shows promise. It's consistent. Everybody likes to see tiny little groups, and of course everyone else's rifle can put three in the same hole galloping horseback. [emoji1] Personally, I've gotten darned few of those so my expectations aren't nearly as rigid as they once were.

rkoeneke
04-25-2016, 10:04 AM
I have not done that with this rifle.

I know eactly where you are coming from my wifes 700 AAC-SD shoots great groups of the bags and bad groups off the bipod, do the the barrel contacting the stock. But this model 10 has the accustock in it, and with the bipod on it completely passes the card stock test over the entire legnth of the barrel. So I do not see barrel contact being an issue here.

Do you still think I need to do another round of testing shooting off of bags only? And even if I do get greats groups off of bags I would still be slightly disappointed. I don't plan of hauling a bunch of bags out in the field with me. Well maybe a weibad pump pillow, but still.

Fotheringill
04-25-2016, 10:07 AM
"...Also the rifle fouls up pretty quickly, and once it gets dirty I start getting lots of fliers. I have to clean it about every 50 rounds to keep the groups together...."

Count your blessings.

rkoeneke
04-25-2016, 10:18 AM
Count your blessings.

Oh no, why?

gbflyer
04-25-2016, 10:30 AM
I think the Accustock IS a bit more rigid but it isn't a McMillan...apples and oranges to be sure. I have one on a 10PH Max 1 in .223 and it's a good factory shooter. I just noticed you're at around 200 rounds. If it's gonna clean up, I'd say it should do it pretty soon.

Yeah, hard to lug bags out in the field for sure.

I don't think a return trip to the factory would yield any more that a long wait with similar results. Probably your best bet is a good Pac Nor prefit. I'm really happy with mine. I had them set me up with a .308 Obermeyer chamber, 10 twist. It's consistently under an inch.

rkoeneke
04-25-2016, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the input guys! I appreciate the prespective.

I am not very good at making decisions, still not sure what I should do. If Savage isn't likely to do anything for me, then its seems taking the money I would spend shipping it back to the them and spending it on a new barrel would likey be wise.

Michadian
04-25-2016, 12:32 PM
You have checked the barrel for clearance the full length of the stock. Don't forget to check the tang area for clearance as well.

rkoeneke
04-25-2016, 12:36 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but is the tang, the area around the barrel nut and recoil lug?

Michadian
04-25-2016, 12:47 PM
No, the area under the safety.

rkoeneke
04-25-2016, 12:50 PM
Ah, yes. Should there be a very small gap there between the action and the stock, so that the only contact between the rifle and the stock is at the action screws?

Michadian
04-25-2016, 01:08 PM
I'm afraid to say that I do not have any guns with an accustock. In general the idea is to eliminate stress (distorting forces) acting upon the receiver. With pillar only bedding the action is supported by pillars at the action screws, while glass bedding cradles the action over a broader area. In either case, contact in the tang area at the rear of the action can create stress when the action screws are tightened. Just be sure that there clearance under the tang. Accustock owners will be able help with action screw tightening sequence and torque values, which may also help tighten up your groups.

Fotheringill
04-25-2016, 01:42 PM
OP-

Just clean the barrel after only five shots and you will see what I mean. You will be astounded at the amount of fouling in there.

short round
04-25-2016, 03:25 PM
I see vertical string on most of the groups. This can be caused by bipod on concrete bench. Try putting piece of carpet or card board between bench & bipod. Most likely you wont shoot off concrete in field.

rkoeneke
04-25-2016, 05:48 PM
Ah that is one thing I haven't done! I will test different torque specs on the action screws. Thank you for that. I have shoot off all sorts of surfaces, but I will pay more attention to that, thank you all!!!

RustyShackle
04-25-2016, 08:35 PM
Err Wait,....is there 6 shots in the top center target?

Have you tried shoot-> clean, shoot-> clean, repeat? If you have a rough bore its possible that its fouling quickly, although those groups aren't horrid.

You could always try lapping the bore but everywhere you turn you'll get a different opinion on if its beneficial or harmful. Guess the Jury is still out on that?

Although If you decide to replace that tube and don't mind using it to run an experiment before you swap it out, I would be interested to hear if lapping helped tighten up your groups. either fire lapping or just a hand lapping session.

Also I'm sure scope rings/bases have been triple checked, swapped scopes around maybe. Hope it turns out good for you!

holescreek
04-25-2016, 08:42 PM
I have a Model 10 FCP-K that disappointed me the few times I've shot it so I tossed it into the safe and moved on. Lately I've been thinking of pulling it out and giving it a good wringing out once and for all. Have you tried it without the muzzle brake at all?

rkoeneke
04-25-2016, 10:44 PM
Err Wait,....is there 6 shots in the top center target?

That is a bad flier from the bottom center group. Note that the group just to the right of bottom center is only four shots. That group also had a flier that didn't even hit the cardboard box.

I have not tried the shot, clean, shoot, clean etc.

I have not shot it without the break. I need and action vise and a propane torch to get it off. That thing is on there good. I tried to get it off with it in my Tipton gun vise, a wrench, and a heat gun, but it wont budge.

Maztech89
04-26-2016, 04:44 PM
I've seen too many bipods skidding and jumping on the bench causing vertical to rule that out. Your groups look like there's a tracking issue chucking them up. I would try a good rest setup where the gun can track smoothly.

Process_engineer
04-26-2016, 07:04 PM
I shoot my 10T of my backpack and am able to get sub-MOA groups. I had issues with the copper fouling for at least the first 200 rounds. I had grouping issues for the first 100 rounds. Id give it another 100 rounds to make a judgement. Or try lapping the barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk