PDA

View Full Version : Need some advise

bc160
04-24-2016, 04:51 PM
OK I have a model 10 that has an green mountain barrel on it. The gun shots awesome but my problem is with the bolt. Bolt lift is OK but to actually pull the bolt back is next to impossible. I almost have to hit it with my hand multiple times to get it to cycle. I have tried a different bolt. Multiple reloads (although they were all federal brasd) and even some older winchester factory bullets. Bolt pull is effortless on an empty chamber.

I'm kinda leaning towards a touch to much headspace. Would that cause my problems?
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

RustyShackle
04-24-2016, 06:24 PM
Sounds like the chamber either needs a very good scrubbing or de-burred.

I would advise against swapping bolts around without running a go/no-go gauge(s) to verify correct headspace.

Look at the brass that you are removing, I would surmise that there are many drag/scratch marks down the length of the shell.

bc160
04-24-2016, 06:30 PM
thanks for the suggestion. I never even thought about the bolts changing the head space. Guess I got lucky on that one... I will rescrub the bore. Any ideas on the de-burring thought or is that a gunsmith item

RustyShackle
04-24-2016, 06:40 PM
I guess it could be considered more of a polish than a de-burring, but there are a handful of different ways that this can be accomplished. I simple search online will give you a good bit of reading material. Some people just use a brush, others a scotch brite pad around a dowel, others modify a piece of brass with some lapping compound. Just don't get too aggressive! Could be carbon fouled too. Soak it in oil for a bit and then scrub. repeat as necessary. Hope this helps some

short round
04-24-2016, 07:12 PM
Check primary extraction. When the bolt handle is raised, it should move to the rear to primary extract the brass from the chamber. To test, fire round, place shim between receiver & rear baffle, raise bolt handle. If extraction works, you found problem.

Bolthead
04-24-2016, 07:55 PM
If you load a round in the chamber and eject the round without firing it, is it still tight to get out? As you raise the bolt handle, there is a small ramp on the left side of the rear baffle and the bolt handle that pulls the cartridge out about an eighth of an inch, This is your primary extraction and has been known to have issues.
ShortRound, we must have been writing this at the same time.

bc160
04-24-2016, 11:17 PM
It works fine cycling brass it only Becomes tight after firing. The bolt lift itself isn't the problem it's trying to pull the bolt back to eject. I will do some cleaning and check the primary. Hopefully that will fix it up