PDA

View Full Version : ANY Stock for Precision Target Action (4.40" Spacing)?

Phil3
04-23-2016, 11:35 PM
I have a Precision Target Action (RBLP) I want to use but am having no luck with stocks. I prefer a more vertical grip, so the stock LRPV H-S Precision stock (PSV106) is not my preference. A chassis is nice, since no bedding hassles but all are really designed for magazines, and most look a little weird without a mag. I wish there was something like the H-S Precision PSV106 with the aluminum bedding block that had a vertical grip. I really don't want to buy a mag style stock and then fill in the mag hole. Is there any such thing?

Phil

clintsrv
04-24-2016, 12:23 AM
You can easily run a Target Action (4.4) with any stock thats inlet for bottom metal by using the HFP bottom.
I run a RBRP Target Action in a B&C M40 style with HFP bottom with no problems.
I do not have a mag installed on the floorplate.

Stockrex
04-24-2016, 09:40 AM
get a thumbhole stock, SSS or Boyds

Robinhood
04-24-2016, 11:34 AM
McMillan TPR

Phil3
04-26-2016, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Call me a purist, but would rather not use a single shot action in a stock designed for a mag. This also prevents use of the 3rd screw (middle) in the action I believe. I know it can get by with just two screws, but seems like if Savage designed it with three, put the action in a stock that used all three (LRPV), then using 3 is probably a good idea. However, I will still consider this avenue. - Phil

You can easily run a Target Action (4.4) with any stock thats inlet for bottom metal by using the HFP bottom.
I run a RBRP Target Action in a B&C M40 style with HFP bottom with no problems.
I do not have a mag installed on the floorplate.

J.Baker
04-27-2016, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. Call me a purist, but would rather not use a single shot action in a stock designed for a mag. This also prevents use of the 3rd screw (middle) in the action I believe. I know it can get by with just two screws, but seems like if Savage designed it with three, put the action in a stock that used all three (LRPV), then using 3 is probably a good idea. However, I will still consider this avenue. - Phil

Robert Greenleaf - a retired engineer from Savage, avid benchrest shooter and frequent contributor to the now defunct Precision Shooting magazine did some testing with the 3-screw single-shot actions when they first came out and his results showed that the third screw offered no benefit what-so-ever. The third screw was essentially added at the marketing dept's request so they could use it as a selling point, and like most marketing hype it was just that - hype.

As far as using a stock that's been inlet for a blind magazine, it's not going to hurt anything or affect accuracy in any way. If the void bugs you, you can always glue in a piece of foam or a block of wood to fill the bulk of the space and then glass bed over it.

m12lrs
04-27-2016, 08:02 AM
https://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifle-stocks/hunting-stocks-savage-a-3/

Phil3
04-27-2016, 11:47 AM
Thank you VERY much for this. This information definitely helps set aside fears of not using the 3rd screw. It seems then that I can use a stock with hinged floor plate so the opening for a mag is closed. Now, to see if I can find a reasonably affordable stock, that has an aluminum bedding block, with hinged floor plate, in tactical style. Again, thank you very much, I was about ready to order the original LRPV H-S Precision PSV106 stock, which is not really the style I wanted (i.e., Macmillan A-5).

Phil

Robert Greenleaf - a retired engineer from Savage, avid benchrest shooter and frequent contributor to the now defunct Precision Shooting magazine did some testing with the 3-screw single-shot actions when they first came out and his results showed that the third screw offered no benefit what-so-ever. The third screw was essentially added at the marketing dept's request so they could use it as a selling point, and like most marketing hype it was just that - hype.

As far as using a stock that's been inlet for a blind magazine, it's not going to hurt anything or affect accuracy in any way. If the void bugs you, you can always glue in a piece of foam or a block of wood to fill the bulk of the space and then glass bed over it.

JW
04-30-2016, 08:42 AM
Have you looked at the Savage stocks?