PDA

View Full Version : Sav 2 and bottom bolt release

Robinhood
04-23-2016, 04:35 PM
I fitted the save 2 to an bottom bolt release action. Had to remove the pin put the coil spring in for the safety, filed some metal off of the housing for the sear to move without the spring binding. The handoff was too fast so I took a little off of the seer where it hit the action near the(action) screw. (that allowed the seer to move further away from the trigger step.) It works nice but once I try to put it in the XLR Element Chassis the sear no longer catches the trigger. I have looked and looked, I know it has to be obvious but I don't see it. Where is it hitting or what is messing with my trigger? Got any help for a fella with tired eyes? Im going to take a nap and maybe when I wake up It will come to me.....

dfrosch
04-23-2016, 04:59 PM
Wish I could help. Had the same experience with my BBR. The SAV2 worked until I put it in the B&C M40 stock. Put the accutrigger back in.

Hear the SAV1 works, but don't have any experience with it.

short round
04-23-2016, 05:08 PM
When you wake up, have a samwich and try some Prussian blue or Dykem to see where it is hitting. Has to be hitting somewhere.

LongRange
04-23-2016, 05:16 PM
RH does the trigger work if you just snug the action screw?

LongRange
04-23-2016, 05:42 PM
sense your taking a nap heres a few pics...this is a remington chassis so yours is a little different but youll get the idea...your SAV2 is most likely hitting on the little shelf where the tip of the screw driver is at...on your chassis the little shelf is is different i think its tall(toward the action more)....

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff515/LTT-/Mobile%20Uploads/1461446800.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/LTT-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1461446800.jpg.html)

that is most likely where your trigger is hanging up....when i put my PTA with a SAV2 in my XLR i had use a dremel and take off some of that little shelf....also i had to dremel off some at the tang as it was binding there as well....

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff515/LTT-/Mobile%20Uploads/1461446803.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/LTT-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1461446803.jpg.html)

like i said this is a remmy chassis so its a little different but youll see what im talking about when you look at yours...i thought i saved the pics of the work i did to the PTA chassis but i guess i deleted them.

Robinhood
04-23-2016, 07:03 PM
Wow. Thanks for all of the input. I put some light on it looking through the trigger guard I found the issue. The jam nut on the trigger sear engagement screw was hitting the chassis. I hate to cut material out but heck, I shoe horned that trigger in like an ace so this should be an easy fix.

Now, since I have you attention has anyone notice that sometimes you have to pull he recoil lug off of the recoil abutment to get the action screw started. That cant be a good thing. Should it be shimmed or bedded?

Robinhood
04-23-2016, 07:08 PM
Another thing, Using the original safety mechanism required the installation of the spring from the original hanger. It was a bugger to get in ther but it happened. The safety is much harder to operate now and the location looks to be very close outside of grease anyone have an idea on smoothing that out. From the looks of it I may be one of the few to try this and was interested in feedback on this issue as well.

LongRange
04-23-2016, 07:50 PM
No need to bed...my PTA was hard to get the action screw started as well...and you are right...I was backwards...it's the front of the trigger not the rear...just hog it out a little and you will be golden...it won't effect anything...also check the tang you may need to do a little work there as well then just use a black sharpie and no one will ever know lol.

i called nick at XLR and sent him before and after pics...he said he was going to get a savage action and SAV2 trigger and correct the inletting.

get the trigger straightened out then the tang if needed torque the screws to 65"lbs and shoot it.

Robinhood
04-23-2016, 08:37 PM
Alrighty then. I now consider myself an expert on installing a Sav-2 trigger on a bottom bolt release action with an XLR chassis. If there is interest I will dig some pictures up and do some MS paint editing and make a tutorial.

J.Baker
04-24-2016, 09:06 AM
Alrighty then. I now consider myself an expert on installing a Sav-2 trigger on a bottom bolt release action with an XLR chassis. If there is interest I will dig some pictures up and do some MS paint editing and make a tutorial.

Good, now you can take lots of pictures and write up a complete how-to that we can add to the website for the next person that runs into the same issue. :p

Robinhood
04-24-2016, 10:50 AM
Jim, I don't mind doing that at all if you think it adds value. I don't have a camera right now but am looking for one. As soon as I can pick one up or borrow one I will do.

J.Baker
04-24-2016, 06:19 PM
Every bit helps, and by making it an article it's much easier for someone to find in the future than searching through hundreds of thousands of threads here on the forum.

Back in the early days of this site we had a dozen or more guys who would regularly submit articles for the site, but anymore it's just me. After doing this for 14 years I'm rarely doing any new builds or changing things up on my own rifles so I don't get a lot of opportunities to put together new FAQ and how-to articles or review new aftermarket parts. With no one else submitting either, those portions of the main site have become pretty stagnant other than the occasional post I'm able to promote from the forum that's detailed and thorough enough to warrant it.

I would love to see people become more active and involved on this site by submitting their own product reviews and technical articles - whether they are in written or video format (pssst....this would be great way for you bloggers and YouTube guys to bring this site's traffic to your sites w/o having to plug it in your signature line). So long as it's clean (no swearing), comprehensive and detailed I'd welcome the submissions. Posting things on the forum is all well and good, but it's here today and buried in the back pages tomorrow. Having that information in article format on the main site where it can more easily be found by those looking for it is what we need to strive for, and in doing so it will bring more people to the site.

PowellSixO
04-25-2016, 11:33 AM
Very interested in some pictures if you get the chance. I installed one myself about 4 years ago, on my 111 Trophy Hunter 7mm Rem Mag. My trigger functions great, but I had to modify it in a way, to where the bottom bolt release button, no longer allowed the bolt to be removed when the stock was installed. It's not really a big deal for me so far. When I need to remove the bolt I remove the stock and get to it that way. It's been so long since I did it though, I can't really remember what I did. Lol. I'm putting a new stock on it tonight, and I'll have to take some pics.

Robinhood
04-25-2016, 04:46 PM
Powell, This was for an XLR bottom release chassis.

PowellSixO
04-25-2016, 05:00 PM
Powell, This was for an XLR bottom release chassis.
Whoops. My bad. Disregard my post.

Robinhood
04-25-2016, 05:06 PM
Solder a piece of petal on it so it sticks through the hole in the trigger guard.