PDA

View Full Version : Neck sizing only.....308 Win

kenbo776
09-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Anyone here reload this way? I know its supposed to give you better accuracy . You probably will not be able to use neck sized ammo in another rifle other than one you originally fired it in , but that should not be to big a deal for me. My local dealer says that RCBS makes a die for neck size but he said that I had to order it direct ...dont know why.

DGD6MM
09-22-2009, 05:13 PM
I use Lee Collet Die's for a few of the calibers I shoot and they do work well. They size the neck area only. Lee doesn't make them for all calibers but you can get one for a .308. On 6mm BR there is a guy with a video comparison on a collet die and a hornaday neck die for run out and it's pretty interesting. I like to believe that when I use my collet die my loads are a little more accurate, the proof is on the target and for me my groups are a little smaller.

dcloco
09-22-2009, 05:32 PM
If you are looking for accuracy, even from a factory chamber, I would still neck turn the brass to control neck tension, AND neck size only.

In regards to the other article mentioned, runout can be caused by a number of items, beginning with the press - often the MOST overlooked item in the reloading arsenal.

Even though the article was comparing two different dies, the collet type die actually allows the brass to center more, thereby, reducing runout.

Full length size a piece of any brass and check runout, then decide if the issue is in the alignment between the hole in the top of the press and the ram, the shellholder alignment, or the dies.

GaCop
09-24-2009, 06:08 AM
Ditto on the collet die for loading accurate ammo. Good value for the money.

learjet
09-24-2009, 10:19 AM
try the lee collet die. ive gotem for every boltgun i own, and i either get better accuracy or no change w them. also, no need to lube, quick, clean and fast.

i do have a shootin buddy whos 308 winnie likes collet sized loads for match ammo, but prefers full length sizing for varmint rounds.

hershey
09-24-2009, 06:36 PM
If you are looking for accuracy, even from a factory chamber, I would still neck turn the brass to control neck tension, AND neck size only.

i think he hit the nail on the head, that is where i have found my best accuracy. turning the neck releases the bullet evenly, i/e no thick or thin edges to launch it crooked, and making them all the same thickness makes for uniform tension.