PDA

View Full Version : Large Shank Thread Question

waterfwlr
04-22-2016, 07:43 PM
I bought a large shank x caliber barrel. Tried to thread it on and it binds up. The recoil lug wont go over the threads either. From what I read, the threads are suppose to be 1.120. I measure the threads on the barrel I took off and they are 1.115. Which one is correct? thanks in advance

243LPR
04-23-2016, 08:47 AM
You may need to really clean the threads on the inside of the action. Probably some gunk in there from the factory barrel.

scope eye
04-23-2016, 09:13 AM
And remove the front mount screws among other things like sanding the threads on the barrel to remove a little height to them.

Dean

geezerhood
04-23-2016, 01:49 PM
I bought a large shank x caliber barrel. Tried to thread it on and it binds up. The recoil lug wont go over the threads either. From what I read, the threads are suppose to be 1.120. I measure the threads on the barrel I took off and they are 1.115. Which one is correct? thanks in advance

What is the OD size of the new barrel threads?

Robinhood
04-23-2016, 04:27 PM
I agree with 243 and scope eye. Can you see any damage on the old barrel threads? What is the id of the lug? If everything is close then some 320 sandpaper wrapped in your palm and twisted back and forth around the threads carefully will knock the highs off.

dfrosch
04-23-2016, 05:08 PM

The major diameter on V threads usually have over .005 tolerance. They are both correct.

Did you measure the thread OD on the X-caliber?

Try cleaning the action threads with some solvent or Kroil and a small wire brush. You might have bluing salts in the threads.

short round
04-23-2016, 05:14 PM
Dose the nut screw onto the barrel ?

waterfwlr
04-27-2016, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. They said the threads were 1.120. Threads look pretty clean but I'll try that as well. I should have tried to screw the nut on the barrel before I sent it back, but I didn't. When the recoil lug didn't fit over the threads I just sent it back. Saw this also, says they should be 1.115 http://www.smallcaliberclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=1453