PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket bottom metal for 110 FCP

Thunger
04-22-2016, 09:04 AM
I just bought a new 110 FCP 300 Win mag with the HS Precision stock but I already want to upgrade the magazine/bottom metal. The factory mag functions perfectly with factory length ammo but I want to be able to seat my bullets out farther and not have to single feed rounds.

I was on the Accurate-Mag website and saw that they make Savage LA bottom metal for the Accu-stock model rifles. Does anyone know if the HS Precision stock has the same inletting as the Accu-stock? I know CDI makes bottom metal and does free inletting but I'm really trying to avoid sending my rifle anywhere.

md7989
04-22-2016, 09:19 AM
I doubt the inletting will be the exact same. It always seems everyone has to do at least a tiny amount of inletting somewhere on aftermarket stocks to get any bottom metal to line up correctly. And getting CDI to do it seems to be worth it...you'd only have to ship them the stock (don't see why they'd need the entire rifle). Personally I'd buy the bottom metal of your choice and inlet it by hand. I did my B&C M40 with some cheap files from harbor freight in about an hour while sipping on two beers haha. Turned out quite well actually

geezerhood
04-23-2016, 02:12 PM
If you go with the longest Accurate-Mag bottom metal and mags - 3.850 outside / 3.750 Max COAL - that fit it, you will be able to run anything in it from WSM's to the 338 Edge. That is what I have on an old flat back long action and it runs great with my 300 WSM rounds (They feed pretty well out of the 338 Lapua magazine though they do ride forward under recoil until they hit the rib), 300 Win Mag, 300 Ultramag sized and the 338 Lapua when installed on my Savage factory Lapua action.

You may need to alter your feed ramp on the action a bit depending on the overall length of the rounds. On my regular long action, anything seated to the max inside length for the longest Accurate-Mag box, won't feed because the feed ramp opening on that action is shorter than where the tips of the bullets ride. Even if they are shorter than 3.750", if the cartridge isn't stopped from moving forward by the ribs in the magazine until the tips hit the front wall of the magazine, then you might run into the same feeding problem.

I don't have a 300 Win Mag magazine or I would test that for you with the 3.850 outside dimension setup in a regular long action.