PDA

View Full Version : Boyd's Pro Varmint question

brfussell
04-21-2016, 09:22 PM
I ordered a Boyd's Pro Varmint for a Stevens 200 with a bull barrel. My emailed order confirmation indicates that was what I requested. The packing slip does not indicate a bull barrel channel. The barrel channel looks very tight by just dropping the rifle in without tightening the action screws.
My question is would it be easier to just take a dowel and sand paper and enlarge the channel or go through the hassle of sending it back to Boyd's?

wbm
04-21-2016, 09:28 PM
If you alter it your warranty will not be good. If you think you got the wrong stock, look at the product number on box and check online to see if they sent the correct stock.

brfussell
04-21-2016, 09:52 PM
I checked the item# one the box and searched the Boyd's web site and found this stock is for a M10 SA, center feed with a bull barrel. It's not what I ordered but I would think it would fit.

brfussell
04-23-2016, 11:55 AM
I contacted Boyd's and they told me since the M10 is basically the parent rifle and it would fit that it is the correct stock. The barrel channel is not cut enough for a varmint contour barrel to be floated. I told their service department and she indicated that this is considered a minor fitting issue and should use a dowel and sandpaper to open it up enough. I attempted to install the trigger guard but it will not fit at all. Is this common? It is the factory plastic Stevens trigger guard. Is the metal trigger guards any thinner? I eventually want to get one and I don't want to sand out the trigger guard area if it is not necessary.

wbm
04-23-2016, 01:51 PM
The trigger guard is different with Boyd's stocks. You will have to buy one from them or another vendor....I would just go ahead and get it from Boyd's...I think they only have stainless now.

DrThunder88
04-25-2016, 03:59 AM
As long as it's a trigger guard for a top bolt release rifle, you could get the part from anywhere. It would end up costing me the same to buy from Midway or Brownells since Boyds charges as much to ship a trigger guard as it would cost to ship a rifle stock.

brfussell
04-25-2016, 07:57 PM
I ordered one from Midway. It was the best combination of cost plus shipping. I appreciate everyone's response.

GaCop
05-19-2016, 07:28 AM
My Pro Varmint stock needed no barrel channel work with a Shaw varmint weight barrel but, when I switched to a McGowen varmint weight barrel, I had to open up the barrel channel to get the McGown fully floated.