PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Savage MKII Stock Questions

Hoyle
04-21-2016, 10:05 AM
Bought a Savage MKII FV-SR a couple weeks ago and have been using it casually at the house for rabbits/squirrels/chipmunks etc. I've heard that the factory stock isn't as accurate as the Boyd's stock.

I've also heard that bedding your stock improves accuracy, but I am not mechanically inclined enough to trust myself doing that without worrying about messing something up.

Should I invest the $170 (almost as much as I paid for the rifle!) to get the new stock? Would the rifle be accurate without bedding either of those stocks?

PowellSixO
04-21-2016, 01:58 PM
You're going to see an increase with both stocks if you bed them. I'm not a big fan of the plastic stocks that come on the Savage rifles. They are supper flimsy, and don't help the accuracy of the rifle. I know on my other rifles (non savage rifles), a better stock plus bedding has helped with accuracy on every single rifle that I've done that too.

ChattanoogaPhil
04-21-2016, 03:07 PM
For critter patrol around the home I wouldn't bother with it. These rifles are typically plenty accurate as they come from the factory.

Now if you want to turn the rifle into a hobby that's another matter.... and can be an expensive....

PowellSixO
04-21-2016, 07:25 PM
For critter patrol around the home I wouldn't bother with it. These rifles are typically plenty accurate as they come from the factory.

Now if you want to turn the rifle into a hobby that's another matter.... and can be an expensive....

ChattanoogaPhil is probably right. For a rim fire rifle, it's probably not worth getting a new stock. But if you like tinkering, and whatnot, it sure wouldn't hurt to bed the stock you've got. And if you've got the extra money burning a hole in your pocket, a new stock from boyds sure would make it perdy. Lol.