PDA

View Full Version : 280 Rem

BrettSass844
07-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Anyone have any experiance with this caliber in a Long Range platform. There is little info available on it and my intrests are peaked with the capabilities that seems possible from it. All info I could find were hunting rifles only. How is the barrel life and recoil? thanks

Brett

learjet
07-12-2010, 07:29 PM
buddy of mine has one, and it does as well at range as a 308 w hornady 139 spbts. i cant get the guy to buy any match bullets for it. his is a light sporter as well, and the recoil seems reasonable. i wish i could getem to buy some match bullets and see what it would do. wish i had more to offer

???

lear

sinman
07-12-2010, 10:43 PM
I have made both sporter and heavy barrels in that as well as 280ai, they all love them and the 280ai will nip the heals of a 7mm rem

bsekf
07-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Might want to consider the 284 win. too. The 284 is a little more efficient.

kweeks10045
07-13-2010, 08:23 AM
+1 on the 280 AI. This is one of the top requests for custom gun makers. Matches the 7 Mag, and 7 WSM.

laportecharlie
07-13-2010, 09:38 AM
I currently have a Darrell Holland built 280AI and have had a couple of 7mm Rem Mags in the past. The 280AI doesn't quite match the ballistics of the Mag. It is the ballistic twin of the 7mm SAUM.
Charlie

KTV
07-14-2010, 08:07 AM
Anyone have any experiance with this caliber in a Long Range platform. There is little info available on it and my intrests are peaked with the capabilities that seems possible from it. All info I could find were hunting rifles only. How is the barrel life and recoil? thanks

Brett

Recoil with commercial loads is about like a .308. Commercial loads tend to
the weak side (still lots of Remington autoloaders and pump guns around).

Barrel life with standard loads is good. Tends to be better than the hot magnum
cartridges.

Most of the long range shooters we see that are shooting .280 have gone to
the AI version.

Lots of good bullets available - check out Berger and Hornady.

Last year a couple of guys from Hornady were up for one of the long range
matches. Shooting the 162gr A-Max bullet from their .280AI rifles, accuracy
was superb.

Hammer
07-14-2010, 03:25 PM

Back when rifle silhouette shooting (500 meters offhand) was really hot, Ruger built factory 280s in the heavy barrel 77V rifle for use in that competition.

They worked well.

Have used the 280 Remington on a few African trips and it did well on plains game including wildebeest and kudu. Used 175-grain Nosler Partition bullets. It also does well on short range prairie dogs.

One year gave three friends 280 Remington caliber rifles as presents. They haven't complained.

Have a number of 280 Rem barrels for my swap barrel guns including Savages, Sakos, Montanas, etc.

Keep both a Dillon 550 and a Dillon 650 ready to load 280 Remington at any time.

ctrout
07-15-2010, 12:59 AM

One year gave three friends 280 Remington caliber rifles as presents.

I'll be your friend anytime Hammer!

Hammer
07-15-2010, 05:35 AM

Being my friend has its costs.

Have to like pork barbecue, fried whole catfish, hushpuppies, blackberry cobbler...

Have to be willing to miss World Cup soccer to go shooting.

Have to like riding horses on the open range.

Have to be willing to get up in the morning without plans, jump in a plane to fly somewhere to shoot something, and then return without schedule or reservations.

Have to tolerate old jeeps without any modern safety or EPA equipment.

Have to shoot single-action revolvers and single-action semiauto pistols made of metal. In calibers that start with "4" or "5".

Have to like shooting 16 gauges.

Have to be willing to shoot a dozen or more different calibers in a single day and like it.

Have to tolerate folks wearing guns openly all the time and it not being considered a big deal.

Have to be willing to load ammo in the thousands on dedicated Dillons or Spolars and then shoot that ammo.

Have to tolerate Johnny Cash and Doc Watson.

Cannot complain about three politically-incorrect high-pressure, high-volume showerheads per shower wasting water using 240 gallon water heaters so they never run cold.

And, no, I won’t explain again why we need so many different guns and barrels in the same caliber to complete this test. Go ask my wife.

Cannot get excited that we don't have detailed plans for the next three weeks. They will come and we will shoot something. And what we shoot them with may not have existed 24 hours before we shot them. But don't ask me for details now.

And, yes, the FedEX and UPS trucks come nearly every day and you have to wait your turn to help unload them.

Those are just some of the costs to hanging around these parts.

Eric in NC
07-15-2010, 10:45 AM
All I want to know is where do you get catfish and blackberries up there?

I have never considered moving out of the south because of the lack of these staples (and others like pecan wood for smoking pork shoulders, good smoked sausages and muscadine grapes).

If you have found solutions to these critical geographical delimas I may have to broaden the scope of the search for my retirement venue.

The 280 Rem is a fine all around cartridge by the way. Agree with the others that the AI version is the way to go if you are starting from scratch.

Recoil is a touch less than the 30-06 (certainly in the acceptable range for most shooters) and barrel life is good to great.

jlcpls
07-15-2010, 11:05 AM
All I want to know is where do you get catfish and blackberries up there?

I have never considered moving out of the south because of the lack of these staples

Wife canned about 15 jars of blackberry jam.

Goes well with buttermilk pancakes and maple syrup.

I suspect all go well with the 280 rem.

Hammer
07-15-2010, 12:05 PM

Having a family of overnight couriers is important to survival in the Northern Rockies.

lostart
07-15-2010, 12:14 PM
If you ever need any of those famous yellowstone cats just let me know. ;)