PDA

View Full Version : MAJOR Savage 11 6.5 Creedmoor Problem: HELP NEEDED

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Hector
05-17-2016, 12:40 PM
Hector was this the outcome you were after?
No. I still have an under sized throat.

Robinhood
05-17-2016, 01:03 PM
Hopefully you didn't wear the barrel out. Often. when dealing with a bore/chambering issue the best practice is to find out what it is your looking to fix. The hole is just too difficult to look into without a bore scope. Rarely is a "I hope this works" repair on such a close tolerance item effective unless you have specific knowledge of fixing that issue. In some cases this type of fix may be two steps backwards. I know it is a disappointment but you need to have a smith look at it.

Hector
05-18-2016, 10:45 AM
I'm now trying to decide if spending money on a gunsmith will be worth it. I'v put 1300 rounds thru it already and it never shot as good as I had hoped for, which was probably because of the throat.

It may come back from the smith a tack driver, or it still could be just so so. Maybe a re-barrel would be in order.

BillPa
05-18-2016, 03:25 PM
Hopefully you didn't wear the barrel out. Often. when dealing with a bore/chambering issue the best practice is to find out what it is your looking to fix. The hole is just too difficult to look into without a bore scope. Rarely is a "I hope this works" repair on such a close tolerance item effective unless you have specific knowledge of fixing that issue.

I agree RH. Right now its only a WAG what's going on. If it were mine before anything I'd make a cast of the chamber to know exactly what I'm dealing with.

Bill

md7989
05-19-2016, 10:22 AM
Yeah I'd get it to the smith if it didn't have so many rounds through it and had you not already shot the coarse lapping bullets through it. Now I'd likely rebarrel and let a smith set it up right (if you don't have the tools yourself). I shot mine last weekend for the first time after getting it back and it's still a tack driver but I no longer have the feeding/chambering issues and my ammo is not getting scratched/marred like it was before. Still shoots the factory Hornady 140 gr AMAX loads at 0.7" and the factory Hornady 120 gr AMAX loads at 0.5"

Hector
05-21-2016, 01:44 PM
If mine would have shot well I would not have messed with it, but it didn't and it always showed signs of pressure. I have a Shilen pre fit coming from NSS.

md7989
05-21-2016, 06:07 PM
If mine would have shot well I would not have messed with it, but it didn't and it always showed signs of pressure. I have a Shilen pre fit coming from NSS.

Good deal. Post a thread about how it performs when you get it mounted up