PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12 LRP 6.5 throat issue?

bf3t6hk
04-18-2016, 08:46 PM
I have about 250 rds of factory Hornady match and Winchester match 140's thru my 6.5. I have not been able to get consistent grouping at 100 yds. I took a Hornady OAL gauge with a modified case and an a 140 Amax bullet and softly pushed the bullet in. It stopped at 2.68 and if I pushed harder it would jump to 2.87. I called Savage this morning and they sent me a return label and its on its way back to Savage. I hope it comes back shooting better. I have a Nightforce BR 12 x 42 and a Sinclair benchrest for groundhog competition but just need the gun to work properly. Hopefully when it comes back I will be able to group and start working on a custom load. I am using IMR4350 with Hornady 140 Amax and 142 gr Sierra Matchkings and CCI large rifle primers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

md7989
04-19-2016, 11:04 AM
Any trouble when chambering the factory 140s in terms of resistance, or bolt being hard to close or open without firing the round? What about marring or scratches on the bullet or leade area of the bullet?

Check the thread I just posted about an issue I'm having on my Model 11 6.5 Creedmoor...it's title MAJOR Savage 11 6.5 Creedmoor Problem: HELP NEEDED"...sounds similar

lrshooting
04-19-2016, 11:12 PM
Any trouble when chambering the factory 140s in terms of resistance, or bolt being hard to close or open without firing the round? What about marring or scratches on the bullet or leade area of the bullet?

Check the thread I just posted about an issue I'm having on my Model 11 6.5 Creedmoor...it's title MAJOR Savage 11 6.5 Creedmoor Problem: HELP NEEDED"...sounds similar
I was just thinking the same exact thing.

md7989
04-19-2016, 11:35 PM
I was just thinking the same exact thing.

I should also add that mine feels the exact same way when I measure my overall chamber length. I can feel the 140 AMAX touch something that causes an interference but can apply a tiny bit more pressure to get my full length.

I am VERY interested in hearing what the OP hears from Savage on his rifle.

bf3t6hk
04-20-2016, 07:22 PM
I will give an update when Savage gets back to me. They should get the gun tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RMGunner
04-21-2016, 12:43 AM
Your rifle has the same issue my new Savage Creed had. In short, the throat is cut at groove diameter, or .0005" under SAAMI minimum for the chamber. I'll bet your barrel was cut with the same under-sized reamer mine was???

Read my thread here for an explanation with photos, and how I fixed the issue.
http://65creedmoor.com/index.php?topic=4319.0