PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys....6mm Creed or 6x47 Lapua??

5jmotorsports
04-17-2016, 11:24 PM
I've read through my searches on here, narrowed it down to these two calibers.

Any info to help my choice would be greatly appreciated.

I like the 6cm for the speed and the proper head stamped brass.
I like the 47 for extra barrel life and great quality brass, however not properly stamped.

So is one more inherently accurate than the other?
Am I missing something that's not obvious?

What would you guys pick? Mostly just varmints, possibly long range targets as well.

Thx for any input.

LongRange
04-17-2016, 11:29 PM
You might want to take a look at the 6XC...if your set on one of the two you post both are very accurate,easy to load for...if I only had the two to choose from I'd most likely go with the 6cm since you can get Norma brass now.

LoneWolf
04-18-2016, 09:03 AM
The 6XC, 6 Creedmoor, and 6x47L will all performthe same for the most part. There are a few items to consider though!

1. Price
2. Brass availability
3. Ease of loading

6XC
1. Norma Brass - Costs about the same as Lapua
2. I've only seen it regularly in stock at www.davidtubb.com (http://www.davidtubb.com). Finding larger batches than 100 per box doesn't seem to exist.
3. Buy a set of Tubb's custom dies and roll. He's already done all the leg work on this one.

6 Creedmoor
1. Hornady Brass (Primary) Most other brands are just stamped Hornady brass is the conclusion of many. The hornady brass is not bad, most buy batches of 500-1000 sort through what they want and then sell off what they don't need.
2. Brass is in high demand, but it's the cheapest of the 3 and buying large quantities of 100, 500, or 1000 pieces (or more) is easy to do through Gap.
3. Whiden Dies, Hornady Dies, or other custom dies (What I've seen from research as readily available) I have a few buddies with custom collet dies and what not as well. You'll have to figure out what works best for you.

6x47L
1. Lapua brass, great quality, but $$
2. Seems to stay pretty well stocked, but only option resized 6.5x47L. Most say one pass on the die and it's a non issue.
3. I've seen a lot posting a lot of sub 5 SD's, so it's very consistent and rather easy to load for. I think everyone is running H4350 or 4451 with the Berger 105Hybrid in the 3050-3150fps range. At least that's been my observation. I would go with the Redding custom competition dies for this one.

Some things to understand about the 6mm. They can all be finicky for the first couple 100 rounds. You will see velocity increases from once fired brass, after 100rds through the barrel, and most likely again between 300-500rds on the barrel. Usually dropping the charge weight by .2grs will put you right back where your load work had you. With all these case designs most highly competitive shooters retire a barrel to practice/club matches only at the 1500rds mark, but when compared to the standard 243Win they will run these barrels to 2000+rds over it's life span before they consider it shot out.

I just shot out a second 243Win Barrel that is still shooting well, but the set back at the lands is getting well beyond mag length. This has been the case with 2 barrels right between 1300-1400rds down the tube. That's the primary advantage of these more modern case designs and the primary reason for extended barrel life. You can continue to shoot them within AICS magazine restrictions for a much longer period of time.

At this point I have a couple 1000 rounds of shooting the 243 under my belt, so I'm planning to switch to one of the above. I'vesettled on the 115DTAC as my choice 6mm bullet and I believe I'll be going with the 6XC as David Tubb has really done all the leg work by designing both the case and bullet combination that he has won numerous national competitions with.

Finally, as far as accuracy is concerned. They will all shoot just as well as the other loading and shooter dependent!

So, that's where I'm at with all my research, reading up, and talking with the guys using these 3 case designs. I don't know exactly what your goals are with one of these, but the 6 Creed will be about the same cost to shoot as a 243Win as far as reloading components go and the other 2 will cost more as far as brass cost, all are capable of the same velocity ranges, and accuracy. The 243Win will also do all of the above, but sees shorter barrel life due to it's case design. All of them will also require you to either chase the lands or velocity in order to stay in your accuracy node. However, when a 6mm is on point it's the funnest, most pleasing round I've ever shot in competition.

5jmotorsports
04-18-2016, 10:09 AM
Wow thx guys!!! Two for the 6xc huh?? Guess I'm not settled, more research indeed. Lol

what barrel lengths are most running in the xc? 26"?

LongRange
04-18-2016, 10:23 AM
im going to go 24" on my first 6mm barrel and if not getting the velocities with 4350 ill switch to RL-17.