PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Whats it called?

Turbolung
04-17-2016, 01:53 PM
Whats the area called on a stock of a Savage 93f where a cupped area rises up in the stock to support the chamber area of the barrel? It's the part where the barrel connects to the action...trying to decide whether to leave that part of barrel floated or bed it for accuracy..

Mozella
04-17-2016, 04:43 PM
Whats the area called on a stock of a Savage 93f where a cupped area rises up in the stock to support the chamber area of the barrel? It's the part where the barrel connects to the action...trying to decide whether to leave that part of barrel floated or bed it for accuracy..

I think the technical name for the area right between the barrel and the action is "Taint".

Taint is a contraction coming from the full description of that area; i.e. "It ain't action and it ain't barrel".

Or said in a more colloquial way, "Taint action, Taint Barrel". Hence the word "Taint".

I could be wrong though and I want to make it clear I'm not an actual gunsmith. My major in collage was anatomy.

Turbolung
04-17-2016, 06:38 PM
Lol....good stuff..as stated..trying to decide if I'm better off leaving that area floated or if accuracy will improve by bedding it...and I "taint" getting anywhere with the info..bahahah il be here all week ;)

LongRange
04-17-2016, 07:05 PM
Bedding forward of the recoil lug isn't a good idea for unless running a long heavy barrel or a hunting rifle but personal I wouldn't.

Turbolung
04-17-2016, 07:38 PM
So it's called a recoil lug? I definitely won't bed anything ahead if it..just trying to see if it's good to bed the recoil lug itself to support the barrel, or let er float..from factory, it floats. There's no contact with the barrel. Bit like I said, can't get consistent answers on any forum. Iv been searching all over this forum and see ya need to tape the part of the barrel that sits down in the recoil lug so it has a lil room. Since my barrel doesn't have anything to sit in the slot, I filled it with JB to add ridgidity to the flimsy stock. I will add more behind it when I add the front pillar. I don't mean to be long winded, just making sure I'm describing the correct part I'm referring to and clear on the question..

foxx
04-17-2016, 07:46 PM
It's generally considered best to bed up to, and including the rear face of the recoil lug. Allow the sides and bottom of the lug to free float.

Bedding the lug is probably the most critical part of the whole job. It assures good contact and even stress when the metal recoils.

sharpshooter
04-17-2016, 10:32 PM
It's called a barrel channel. You don't have a recoil lug, yes it's OK to bed a coupla inches of the barrel.

Turbolung
04-18-2016, 09:06 PM
Any of you Fellers ever seen an improvement after bedding the barrel channel on a rimfire? I guess that's the main question I should have been asking lol

foxx
04-18-2016, 09:36 PM
I don't shoot .22 or any other rimfire, so I maybe what I am about to say does not apply.

First, define "bed". do you mean actually bed the rifle barrel right to the channel so there is a perfect match and the barrel touches the stock all the way down the barrel with bedding material between the barrel and original stock material? or maybe do you mean relieve the stock so there is a large gap between the barrel and stock material, then partially fill the gap and reinforce the stock so it does not ever touch the barrel regardless of heat, humidity, harmonics and vibrations, etc?

For higher power rifles, most people do not find any benefit whatsoever in bedding the barrel channel. Today, most shooters prescribe to the idea that barrels should be free floated to as to allow their natural harmonics to "flow" throughout the barrel as it is fired without any outside interference from the stock. Sometimes they will bed the first few inches to add strength or reinforcement, believing the barrel does not necessarily "whip" much at the breach end.

Turbolung
04-18-2016, 11:28 PM
Bedding JUST the barrel channel. Barrel is floated and will remain that way. Iv read threads till my eyes hurt trying to get the answer lol other than the barrel or barrel channel, there's nothing to bed on a factory plastic stock. So I'm just trying to figure out if I need to bed that channel. From what I gather, the only thing I can do to improve what I got is add pillars. And I can't find a dang answer of where to get those stupid screws to add the pillars. Sorry for the strong language, lol, but iv got weeks into this and still don't have the answer. Much appreciate all you Fellers for taking time to help, seriously. Looks like it's best to leave that area floated bases on what you shared brother Foxx.

foxx
04-19-2016, 07:30 AM
Turbo, I do not know what you mean when you say "Bedding JUST the barrel channel." To answer your question, you need to define what you mean when you say "BEDDING".

It's a term that has different meaning to different people. If you were to "bed" the barrel channel, what would you do? In what way would the channel be different when done?

If you brought a synthetic stock to me and said you wanted me to "bed" the barrel and free float it when done, I don't know for sure what you would expect from me. I might ask if you want me to STIFFEN a weak forearm?????

Nor Cal Mikie
04-19-2016, 09:30 AM
If you're going thru the work to bed the action, might just as well bed that "taint" area. I bed all my stocks up to and including just ahead of the nut. Maybe about 1/8" forward. If the barrel nut has grooves, I bed it then go back later, cut the high spot off as if the nut was smooth. Only bedded about a dozen stocks so I wouldn't call myself an expert.
And "Taint" has nothing to do with rifle stocks. It refers to female anatomy. The spot between a woman's.... oh never mind. You'll figure it out.

Turbolung
04-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Bedding just the barrel channel means..applying an epoxy material to fill the void between the top of the barrel channel and the bottom of the barrel..to be done by creating a dam in front of the barrel channel and behind it so it doesn't ooze anywhere else..it would be different after bedded in the fact it currently has a void, or gap between the two surfaces. Currently, the only place there is contact is from the bosses attached to the bottom of the action, and the screws coming g from the bottom bottom metal around the magazine area. Savage has uses a weird way of attaching the plastic stock 93s. There's a small area of contact at the top of the stock around the action, but the action is round and has too many mechanical things dangling off the bottom of action and side to bed in that area. There also also one more contact point in the back of the action - stock near the tang, bug these models don't have a tang. The bolt passes over the tang, but there's nothing to bed in the tang of the stock. The description would make sense if you have seen a plastic stock 93f Foxx. If one is keeping the factory plastic stock, there just not really anything g tl bed other than that little barrel channel area, which serves little purpose sense they don't have a barrel lug it wanted to do what I'm talking about. The purpose of bedding it would be to support to the barrel or dampen vibration. And it's actually the chamber area of the barrel. As for strengthening a weak forearm, that already done. I drilled a hole in the barrel channel, epoxied a metal rod into it, that ran to the front of the forearm. Then filled to the top of the ribs with JB weld. The barrel is floated and doesn't make contact with anything. But you did answer my original question already when you said most high powered rifles are left with that area floated, and I appreciate that information..

foxx
04-19-2016, 02:25 PM
Well, Turbo, you know a LOT more about those models than I do. But I think you did enough already.

Turbolung
04-19-2016, 05:35 PM
Thanks for what you shared Foxx..