PDA

View Full Version : Model 110 (circa 1963) Barrel Replacement

aztap
04-16-2016, 01:30 AM
I read in a catalog that older Savage 110 barrels were different than newer barrels and not interchgangeable. My old Savage was purchased in about 1963 and has been a great shooter. I am interested in re-barreling to .25-06. Any suggestions or comments?

J.Baker
04-16-2016, 12:09 PM
If it has the early style bolt you will need to have a gunsmith custom fit a barrel. If it's the newer style (1966 and up), any pre-fit or modern factory take-off barrel will screw right on.

Early style bolt is on top, new style on bottom.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/MrFurious45833/FAQs/BoltComparison2.jpg

Early style bolt is on the left, new style on the right.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/MrFurious45833/FAQs/BoltComparison1.jpg

The other option (if you have the early style) is to replace the entire bolt assembly with the newer style which will allow you to use the newer style barrels. Probably looking at $160-180 for a complete bolt assembly though.

And since I know someone will ask, no you can't simply swap on a new-style bolt head. If you look at the first photo above you'll see that the cross pin that holds the bolt head in place is is vertical on one and horizontal on the other (in relation to the bolt lugs)

Mthomas90
04-18-2016, 10:38 PM
I talked to PTG today about making a custom bolt head with the pin hole 90 degrees off the normal hole. They said it wouldn't be a problem for them to do. You just have to pay the little cost they charge for stopping normal production for this special bolt head. It would still be less than buying a full bolt assembly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

J.Baker
04-19-2016, 08:21 PM
Given PT&G's inability to make standard bolt heads and bolt bodies that fit properly, I don't know if I'd trust them to make me a custom one.

Something else to consider is that these early 110's are becoming somewhat rare and if in good unmolested condition have some collector appeal. They're not high dollar by any means, but given the availability of cheap used 1966 and newer models I'd give serious thought to molesting one of the early ones.

mnbogboy2
04-20-2016, 01:56 PM
MrFurious is correct they definitely are becoming harder to find.
I've machined (drilled at 90 deg) the bolt body on several occasions in the past...they then work fine with the newer style bolt heads & barrels.
The Savage LA bolt body is also a direct replacement (more money).
You may have to drill the new bolt head out for the large diameter firing pin (or buy the small dia. firing pin assembly).
The trigger is very adjustable and is a plus. But because ejection is different between the two bolt styles some modification will also be required
by removing the ejector blade and possibly tweaking the magazine.

Good luck with whatever route you choose,
Randy