PDA

View Full Version : How short to go?

txaggie929
04-15-2016, 05:50 PM
I am doing a Savage 10 .308 going in an XLR chassis. Going for a precision hunting rifle if you will. Most hunting shots would max at 300 yds, but would like to be able to go out 600-800 for steel targets if desired.

I am at the great debate right now of just how short to go. My gut tells me to go with 16.5" and thread it, and probably install a brake. Going down to 18" plus a brake negates the advantages of cutting the barrel in my opinion.

Also, have thought about cutting below 16" and permanently affixing a brake to achieve legal length. Ultimately, I'd love to have a suppressor, but my pockets aren't deep enough to spend almost the same amount on making it quiet as the rifle itself cost.

So, looking for input from people who have actually cut their barrels down. Do you wish you had gone shorter or left it longer? Any input is greatly appreciated.

geezerhood
04-15-2016, 07:37 PM
I have had three guns with 308 sized cases and 15" and 16" barrels, 2x 308 and 1x7mm-08 and they all shot well under 3/4 MOA with plenty of juice to take out any large game at 300 yards and beyond. Two of them were pistols. I never felt the need for a brake even on the pistols, but they do make your follow up shots faster.

txaggie929
04-15-2016, 08:03 PM
I'm guessing those were striker pistols? Always liked those, just never figured a practical use for me personally.

To clarify, I'm not concerned about accuracy issues, as it's pretty much been proven that barrel length has little to no effect on accuracy. I just made mention of a few things because I figured somebody would ask.

Just wanted to see if anybody regretted going too short or too long and why.

triehl27
04-16-2016, 04:03 AM
I have a Model 10, that I built from literally spare parts from other builds. The barrel is a sporter contour, I had it cut to 16.25" and threaded. I then added one of the great EBAY 3 port muzzle brakes (Honestly works phenomenally) The whole thing comes to about 18" in length.
Muzzle blast?, I guarantee people move off the benchs on each side of me. Almost Everytime I touch one off, my bench neighbors go religious on me... "Jeezus Christ!!! what the hell is that thing?????" Muzzle blast due to the short barrel is tremendous.

Accuracy? Factory Match loads under 1 MOA all day, My Handloads down to .5" regularly.

Now the downside...
Velocity at 22" of barrel is 2650-2700fps
Velocity at 16" of barrel is 2500+ish FPS with the same load.

Final upside
Stick it in a savage tupperware stock, Rockite said stock forend for rigidity, add a light scope, I am running a 4-12X40 VX-1 and I can pack that rifle all day long and forget I have it. I am sitting at about 7.9lbs all told.

Action: $200
Barrel cut and thread: $100
Stock: 19.99 ebay
trigger: $75 accu trigger - ebay
Muzzle brake: Three Slot- $18 Ebay

Sub $450 1 moa accuracy - sub 8lb rifle
Add an Aero Precision Mount $80 2.9oz
Add a Vx-1 Scope $200

Pack Hearing protection!

txaggie929
04-16-2016, 08:12 AM
Nice budget build! I considered doing a complete build from scratch, but have had little luck in finding a fair priced action or complete used rifle. Maybe I just need more patience lol.

How far have you shot out to with your setup?

triehl27
04-16-2016, 12:37 PM
Nice budget build! I considered doing a complete build from scratch, but have had little luck in finding a fair priced action or complete used rifle. Maybe I just need more patience lol.

Not far, I have had it on 8" Gong at 250yds. Took a deer 2 years back at 189yds, DRT. I have plenty of confidence in it out to reasonable ranges. Just remember a sporter barrel heats up ALOT quicker then a target barrel, lol.

triehl27
04-16-2016, 01:19 PM

The action was just came up randomly on a local forum. If you are serious about a build, look for a Stevens 200 action they seem to crop up frequentlty either as a rifle whos parts you can sell to recoup, or as a barreled action.

The other downside to this build is i went into it without researching. The first scope i bought for it (dont ask me why, I have no idea) was a Vortex 6-24X50 Viper. Between it and the 30mm mount it added 2+pounds. I traded that out when I rethought the build to the VX1, and it was a hugely noticeable difference.

I have been wanting to try the JP Eliminator muzzle brake (Since you can't make this barrel any louder at 16") just for comparison. I have tried several, but in the end I went with the simple 3 slot $18 brake off ebay.

Bimmer
04-16-2016, 01:20 PM
Also, have thought about cutting below 16" and permanently affixing a brake to achieve legal length...

I have a couple ARs that are 14.5" with permanently attached extra-long flashhiders. They work well.

My Savage .308 is 20", with a big Miculek brake. I like that, too. It's painfully loud, though. I wear plugs and muffs at the range.

If I were going for a hunting gun, then I wouldn't hesitate to cut it down to 16", or even shorter.

upSLIDEdown
04-16-2016, 01:59 PM
I just put together a 17.5" with a barrel from Jim at AGW. Still working up a load, but I'm ALMOST done. I should have some velocity numbers soon I hope, and plan to take it out to 1k yards on steel. Shooting 185 Juggernauts with PP2000MR behind them.

http://i65.tinypic.com/ehn629.jpg

klr
04-16-2016, 05:54 PM
I've cut a couple of rifles down to 16.5" and won't do it again. I don't like the increase in muzzle blast and the loss of velocity.