PDA

View Full Version : Savage stock pillers

brfussell
04-15-2016, 01:14 PM
I've ordered a Boyds Pro Varmint stock and I would eventually like to add pillars. I saw Savage Pillars for sale but wondered if the pillar size is consistent no matter what after market stock is used?

rjtfroggy
04-15-2016, 03:56 PM
Use a piece of lamp rod. Already grooved for epoxy, just cut for size. Probably less than a buck at local hardware store.

drybean
04-15-2016, 04:19 PM
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

brfussell
04-15-2016, 08:24 PM
I appreciate the responses, but it does not answer my original question?

FW Conch
04-17-2016, 08:19 AM
^ The simple answer to your question is no.^ The stock Savage pillars can be made to work with almost any stock but may require some fitting. I Only do this fitting with the use of a drill press, and we have to be very careful of the rear pillar because there is not much stock material in that area. As stated above, many of us like to custom make our pillars to the stock at hand. :-)

Texas10
04-17-2016, 11:21 PM
With the original Savage pillar, you're going to have to counter bore your pillar holes to fit the "head" of the pillar. Getting this perfect on a "one off" is rather difficult. So just bore a little too deep, and back fill with your bedding material. I waxed the pillars to make them removable, but other like to bond them permanently.

The advantage of over boring the hole and back filling is your actions screws will fit perfectly, every time.