PDA

View Full Version : First build help 26 Nosler

Pages : 1 [2]

yobuck
04-17-2016, 10:47 AM
Understand this and you might get the idea of where I'm coming from.
When I was about 13 years old my dad bought a sporterized 30/06
built on an Enfield eddystone action in a pawn shop.
Never had the gun checked out, just took it out with some factory ammo and shot it.
I was standing about 10' to one side and behind where he was shooting.
On the third shot there was a puff of smoke from the gun and my father
with blood streaming down his face. He needed immediate hospital care
which was over an hour away. He was very fortunate in that he only lost
part of the vision in his right eye due to schrapnel. He was laid up for several weeks as a result
of his injury and very lucky at that. The stock was blown apart, the extractor and scope mount blown off
to who knows where, etc etc. The cause was determined to be excessive headspace.
That was the first time I had ever heard the term used and no doubt my father also.
Guns having proper headspace, can develop improper headspace as a result of just shooting the gun.
Lug setback especially with the larger cartridges is a possibility and especially with weak actions to begin with.
Weatherby's strong mark five action has 9 locking lugs. The one I use has been lapped to assure all the lugs are
functioning properly. Responsible gunsmiths know the importance of things like that. They would also say no when
you bring them a poor action to begin with. And one of them already did with regard to this post.

smbob
04-19-2016, 09:22 PM
I have a friend who has a Christensen 26 Nosler. I shot it over the weekend. I have to say it was very impressive. He was shooting 140gr rounds with it. The recoil was about like my 270 with 90gr Hp's I have to say though if you are on a budget I would definitely pick another round. The 26 Nosler is bocuop expensive to shoot!!! Factory ammo is astronomically expensive!!! Even if you reload. Brass costs a fortune for it and it takes a ton of powder for each round. If you insist on a magnum round 7mm or 300 Win Mag would be better. Honestly though my 270 Win or a 30-06 will do just about anything most people would want to do. Just my .02 Whatever you decide I hope it all works out for you.

Robert

yobuck
04-20-2016, 08:23 AM
[QUOTE=smbob;363428]I have a friend who has a Christensen 26 Nosler. I shot it over the weekend. I have to say it was very impressive. He was shooting 140gr rounds with it. The recoil was about like my 270 with 90gr Hp's I have to say though if you are on a budget I would definitely pick another round. The 26 Nosler is bocuop expensive to shoot!!! Factory ammo is astronomically expensive!!! Even if you reload. Brass costs a fortune for it and it takes a ton of powder for each round. If you insist on a magnum round 7mm or 300 Win Mag would be better. Honestly though my 270 Win or a 30-06 will do just about anything most people would want to do. Just my .02 Whatever you decide I hope it all works out for you.

Well I wouldn't advise him to pick another round if that's what he wants to build.
Just to pick the right parts to build it with

arcticfern
07-18-2016, 09:36 PM
A quick update, thanks for all the help. Here is where I landed. I got a chance to shot a buddy of mines 6.5 creedmoor. Well, I now own a savage 6.5 CM with a Timney trigger, and a Boyds stock....plus a Lee reloader and I a few components. I think I made a great decision for me every weekend I get to the range!! Thanks again guys.