PDA

View Full Version : Favorite bushing die

nuclabuyer
07-11-2010, 06:38 PM
I just did a thread and was told that maybe the bushing die is the way to go. I have never messed with them so my question is -- Who here uses a bushing die and who makes it? I saw that redding makes one. I would imagine there are a few companies that make them..

82boy
07-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Hands down, without a doubt, the best bang for the money is Harrell's. Send them $70 bucks, and a piece of brass fired in the gun, and in a couple of days you will have one of the best Full lengh dies availible.
http://www.harrellsprec.com/

They only show PPC and BR on the web site but they make many more diferent dies.

nuclabuyer
07-11-2010, 06:57 PM
So if I were to call and tell them I have a 22-243 win with a .250 neck, they would put the bushing in and have it ready to go in a couple days??

thanks

82boy
07-11-2010, 07:49 PM
So if I were to call and tell them I have a 22-243 win with a .250 neck, they would put the bushing in and have it ready to go in a couple days??
thanks

No,

1. you need to buy the bushing you need, from Wilson, Redding, RCBS or other makers. The way you figure the bushing you need is take your loaded round size, for a .250 neck you need a minimum of .002 clearance taking you to a proper loaded round measurement of .248, I would say that a .002 neck tension would be needed, giving you a .246 needed neck bushing. If you want more or less tension on the neck then you can buy other bushings.

2. You can call them first and see if they make the die your looking for, but before they can make you a die THEY NEED A FIRED PIECE OF BRASS. So you would send them $70 bucks, and a piece of fired brass fired from your gun, and no one else's. They in turn will make you a die and ship it out in about 2 day from when they receive the brass. You still need to buy a bushing and unscrew the die and drop it in. They do not sell bushings.

You will find this with ANY company you buy a die from. Neil Jones make s a super nice full length bushing die, that has a micrometer on it to adjust shoulder bump back, that die will run you $200 plus shipping, and it doesn't come with a single bushing, they are extra.