PDA

View Full Version : Most consistent primers?

dolomite_supafly
07-11-2010, 05:04 PM
I am getting ready to try loading some rounds for more precision than I normally do. I am starting out with new Winchester brass that has been Fl sized with a Redding die, neck sized, trimmed to length and chamfered. I also uniformed the primer pockets as well as ensuring the flash holes were deburred and uniformed.

I will be checking the bullets for consistency as well and using any that fall out of the "norm" for foulers.

What I was wondering what seems to be the most consistent primer of what I have on hand.

I have:
CCI 400
CCI 41
Remington 7 1/2
Wolf Small Magnum

I am leaning towards the CCI 400's because I have shot some really great groups with them before, just not with this barrel. I am not shooting competition or anything like that but I just want the rifle to be as accurate as I can.

The rifle itself has been headspaced to only use these handloads and I have shot a few rounds without issue. Those had CCI 400's with 69 SMK's over Varget. It has a newer 26" long 7 twist 223 barrel that I recently installed.

Thanks
Dolomite

dcloco
07-11-2010, 10:24 PM
CCI450's seem to be the most consistent. Followed by Rem 7.5's. The CCI 400's tend to be somewhat inconsistent, even within the same lot.

slaroy
07-12-2010, 12:28 AM
I've heard a lot of things about the wolf primers but never tried them. I like the rem 7 1/2's, they work well for me.

82boy
07-12-2010, 12:40 AM
Out of your list I would say the & 1/2 are about the best. I would say if you into CCI try BR4's If you want the best get Federal 205M's

21 Guns
07-12-2010, 05:14 AM
Wolf is my primer of choice for match loads

dolomite_supafly
07-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys, I went with the 7.5's for now.

I am going to use a comparator to sort bullets next. I ordered two Hornady's with the insert to measure the ogive length. I had read that length has a lot to do with consistency as well. The longer the ogive the more pressure, the shorter less pressure. So I will sort by like lengths and see where it takes me.

Next I may uniform the meplats on those timy bullets to see if that makes a difference. The equipment to do that is a bit pricey though so I am goig to wait for now.

Like I said this is not for competition or anythign, just squeezing as much out of it as I can as well as using the whole process as a time vampire.

Dolomite

1Shot
07-12-2010, 08:14 PM
...My best with 69's was with Varget & 205M's...For 3@100... ;)..5 shots are not much bigger...Other than that, CCI 400's are my go to primer...Shot many a hole withem.. :)..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/sqek/SMK.jpg

82boy
07-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Meplat trimming is a wast unless you are shooting past 600 yards. The best meplat trimmer I have seen is on the cheaper side of things, I get mine from Dave Tooley. (One heck of a super nice guy, and one of the top long range benchrest shooters around.) The one I get is caliber specific and you attach it to a drill, and go to town.

Tooley Custom Rifles (TCR)
3317 Candlewick Way
Gastonia, NC 28056
704-864-7525
Tooleyrifles@carolina.rr.com

MZ5
07-12-2010, 09:10 PM
If dcloco's suggestion of the CCI 450 is correct, then of your list I'd suggest trying the CCI 41, which is the ballistic equivalent of the 450.

pa hog
07-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Best Meplat tool I've used is the Montour County Rifle/MCR Meplat trimmer. They are much nicer built than the Tooley/Tubb units,they do cost a bit more but you get what you pay for. The MCR tool also uniforms the inside edge of the Meplat.
Here's a review:
http://www.6mmbr.com/MCRmeplat.html

Montour County Rifles
216 Shultz Road
Danville, PA 17821
or
570-437-2010
http://www.montourcountyrifles.com/
Also avaliable at MidwayUSA to

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=587076

dolomite_supafly
07-13-2010, 06:09 AM
Thanks guys, as it stands right now I am only going to be shooting to around 550 or so, this, as well as the price, is the reason why the meplat trimmer is on the back burner. The range that is open anytime and is free, basically just show up and start shooting. It is kind of bare as far as facilities go but the owner is slowly getting it built up. It is a perfect layout, flat for the first 200 yards then rises slowly to the 550 yard mark.

I do have access to a 1200 yard personal range but I have to make arrangements to shoot when the owner is there. He works 10 hours days 6 days a week so shooting there is going to be a rarity. Also, the 69's I plan on using won't get me to 1K. Maybe down the road I'll load some 80's and see what it's like to try for 1K. He does have steel set up which I like better than shooting paper.

Speaking of CCI 41's,
I gave a friend of mine 1K of the CCI 41's for his birthday. He was able to shoot some consistent 1/2 MOA groups out to 200 yards with his AR using them, Varget and 55 grain V-Max's. Surprized me to say the least. I might have to give them a try as well but for now I am going to try the 7.5's. I haven't really tried the 7.5's before so it's time.

Thanks again,
Dolomite

GaCop
07-13-2010, 07:26 AM
I've recently had good accuracy ( 1/4") using the Berger 82 grain VLD pushed by Varget, lit by BR-4s. Brass is fully prepped and weight sorted Winchester. I'm seating the Berger .010" off the lands.

dolomite_supafly
07-13-2010, 07:54 AM
I've recently had good accuracy ( 1/4") using the Berger 82 grain VLD pushed by Varget, lit by BR-4s. Brass is fully prepped and weight sorted Winchester. I'm seating the Berger .010" off the lands.

I am going to try some 69 grain SMK's in the barrel. I am going to start with 24.5 grains of Varget as that seems to be a sweet spot for a few of my weapons.

I have some new Winchester brasss already primed with 7.5's. I am in the process of going thru some 3x fired RP brass and will try some Wolf primers in those. Again with 24.5 grains of Varget and 69 SMK's.

Dolomite

juliomorris
07-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Since fed GMM have gotten so hard to find I have switched over to Wolf LR primers and have seen real consistency. They have proven to be more consistent with my pet loads than even the Fed GMM have been over the last 2 batchs i have ordered. I haven't tried the SR primers but I have heard alot of people over on another bench rest forum have been having good luck with them.

dolomite_supafly
07-13-2010, 08:34 PM
I just primed a few hundred cases with the Wolf. We will see I just need to get a load worked up in the next week or so.

Dolomite

possum1
07-13-2010, 09:20 PM
I have loaded app. 2500 CCI 400, no issue's what so ever. Come to think of it I've never had a mis-fire with any primer I've used, CCI, WIN, FED, BR4, CCI41, GM205M.

dolomite_supafly
07-15-2010, 02:20 PM
I loaded some rounds using the Wolf small rifle magnum primers. Everything else being the same the Wolf gave me an extra 200 fps over the CCI400's.

Dolomite