PDA

View Full Version : 10-FLCP-K

BigSkiff
07-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Hey y'all. I'm new to this forum, but some of ya may know me from other gun forums. I just picked up a new Savage 10-FLCP-K in 308. I'm looking forward to getting it out to the range and giving it a run. This will be my second Savage rifle. My first was a 110 in 30.06 also a left handed bolt. In fact that gun is the reason I bought this one. I bought the 110 about 33 years ago from a friend of mine that carried it in a scabbard on a snowmobile while he lived in Alaska. When I got it the scope mounts were broken off from a collision with a tree while carried in the snowmobile scabbard. The stock was discolored from exposure to exhaust fumes and water. The receiver was rusty, especially below the frame line. I gave him $20 for the gun because he was broke and needed cash. I took the gun to my shop and cleaned it up, refinished the stock, removed the broken scope mounts, and striped the rust off the receiver. A little cold blue and some Tru-oil finish and that old 30.06 was ready to shoot. I was not expecting any great performance from that gun, in fact I was wondering if it would even hit the paper at 100 yards. Set up with iron sights I headed out to the range and much to my amazement that old 110 put 3 180 grain rounds in a group all touching each other. I still have that gun and it will still shoot with the same accuracy. It's ugly, but it's a shooter.

I belong to a local gun club that is adding a 500 yard range next year. I though this might be the time to step up to something newer and see if I can still hit the target! It looks like a beautiful gun. Once the ranges dry out enough to be able to get a target up without the use of a boat, (lots of rain lately) I'll be giving her a run to see how we both do!

eight_heads
07-11-2010, 07:07 PM
I've got a 10 FLCP-K also that I am currently shooting 600yrd F-class with. I am still working on the perfect load, but it seems to like 175gr SMK's and Varget. At the last shoot I shot 94% with a good bit of cross-winds. Once you find a good load I sure you will be impressed.

LeeH
07-11-2010, 07:35 PM
I have one also and although I can go only 200 meters, The best for me so
far has been 168 SMK and 43 gr. of varget.
Sub MOA all the time and 5 in .4 inches is the best so far.

Good Luck!!!

BigSkiff
07-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks y'all! I've really got the itch to shoot this rifle. For the time being I've got a 6 x24 42mm BSA Mildot to put on it. I've had the scope for several years and never had a use for it. I figure it will probably not hold up but it's a place to start. When it goes I'll add some good glass to it. I've got a pair of Millet rings due in Tuesday, and I'll be on the road until Friday anyway, so hopefully by the time I get back, the range will have dried out enough to be able to give it a run. I've always thought that long distance shooting was fun. I haven't really done much of it since I got out of the service in '72. Now I'm an old guy with glasses and stiff joints. LOL. I'm not expecting miracles but I'm going to have fun anyway. Thanks for the tips on the loads. I do reload so building a load for this gun should be fun also.

SBap27
09-27-2010, 11:51 AM
I ordered a 10 FLCP-K in .308 from Turner's over two months ago. Any idea how long it might take to deliver it where I might locate one now? SteveB La Mirada, CA

nebrlongrange
10-05-2010, 09:26 PM
I've got a 10 FLCP-K also that I am currently shooting 600yrd F-class with. I am still working on the perfect load, but it seems to like 175gr SMK's and Varget. At the last shoot I shot 94% with a good bit of cross-winds. Once you find a good load I sure you will be impressed.

Another FLCP lefty - I just ordered mine last week. I am hoping the other FLCP lefties can advise on scope mount options. I've seen FLCP's with a single piece mount for lefty FLCP's, but can't seem to find the manufacturer. Any advise on mount options for these rifles, preferably a single piece option? See link here - it appears to be a single piece raised mount (which looks like it provides plenty of loading clearance) along with low rings to provide optimal clearance for the big objective. Any help appreciated.

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24198&sid=375113e788a093245585e1801c8d5250

thanks in advance.

bodywerks
10-06-2010, 01:03 AM
Egw 20moa base:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=113796

LeeH
10-06-2010, 09:25 PM
I have a Ken Farrell one piece mount and rings and it will just clear a 50mm objective.
Built like a stinkin Bank Vault......No way you can go wrong.

Edited to add....
The Ken Farrell mount is cut on both sides so it ambidextrous.

Txhillbilly
10-06-2010, 10:53 PM
+1 on the Ken Farrell mounts. Sinclair Int. carries them and for a good price.I also like to use Burris Signature Zee rings to mount tha scope in.They are hard to beat.

DreamMaker
10-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Congrats!

I have a 10FLCP-K in .308 and I love it. I have found 45gr of Varget, Hornady brass, 215M's and the A-Max 168gr to shoot like a laser out to 200 yards. Just haven't had a chance to shoot it at longer distances. Right now I have a Warne mount on it and even though it for right hand it works fine for a lefty.

Uncle Jack
10-07-2010, 10:49 PM
+12 on everything said. I have three of them:

10FLCP-K .223 Rem
10FLCP-K .308 Win
110FLCP-K 300 Win Mag (Savage custom shop)
I also own an older Savage 110 Tactical .308 that I bought back in the 90's

I have Farrell bases on the two short actions and a EGW 20MOA on the 300 Win Mag. Both the .223 and the .308 are extremely accurate using 69grn match and 2230, 168grn match and 748. I haven't really worked with the 300 Win Mag yet.

I really think that the Savage Law Enforcement series are the best values in the Savage line.

uj

kenbo776
10-09-2010, 05:07 PM
have to agree with Uncle Jack....... I love my 10 FCP in .308. I can shoot it all day and with good handloads it just flat out preforms. I am at present using a medium grade tactical scope, and so far my best 200 yard group is 3/8 in. Might trade up to better scope someday but so far cannot complain about my results.

eight_heads
10-12-2010, 04:55 PM
i'm using the EGW 20MOA base

Another FLCP lefty - I just ordered mine last week. I am hoping the other FLCP lefties can advise on scope mount options. I've seen FLCP's with a single piece mount for lefty FLCP's, but can't seem to find the manufacturer. Any advise on mount options for these rifles, preferably a single piece option? See link here - it appears to be a single piece raised mount (which looks like it provides plenty of loading clearance) along with low rings to provide optimal clearance for the big objective. Any help appreciated.

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24198&sid=375113e788a093245585e1801c8d5250

thanks in advance.