PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of re-barreling my mdl 16

justinp61
04-11-2016, 02:18 PM
I have a mdl 16 in 260 that I've been working up some loads for and so far I'm not impressed. H4350 and 120gr Nosler ballistic tips are all I've tried to this point. I also have Varget, H414 and 4064 to try. For bullets I have 100 and 120gr Nosler Ballistic tips and Berger 130gr VLD hunting. This rifle is primarily used for for deer at ranges from 30-300 yards. If I do re-barrel it I'll stay with 260 and want to be able to reach out to some 400+ yard ground hogs when it's to windy for my 22-250.

After turkey season the plan is to start loading and shooting again to see if I can find a good load for this rifle. Also planning on replacing the plastic stock with a mdl 11 wood take off. If I can't find a load it likes I'd like to re-barrel it.

Where do I buy the tools needed for this project, action wrench, barrel nut wrench and go-no go gauges? Any other tools? Who's and what pre fit barrel for a carry rifle would you guys recommend? My 22-250 is over 12lbs, I'd prefer to keep this one in the 7.5lb range.

Thanks, Justin

Dewey7271
04-26-2016, 05:58 PM
Check the site sponsors. Many of them could probably help.
Next would be Midway or one of the other mail orders.
PTG, Midway, Brownells or again the sponsors for go/nogo gauges.
Sounds like some type of Sporter contour. 7 1/2 probably a 2, maybe a 3 contour. Putting it in a synthetic might help with weight.
Don't scrimp on the barrel. Jmo.
A lot of the folks here shoot 260s, either the regular or Ackleyed version. Stick a post in the reloading section and I'll bet you'll find a load for your current barrel. I shoot the Ackleyed version with H4831SC.