PDA

View Full Version : Model 11 Hog Hunter

Pages : [1] 2

Leatherman835
04-10-2016, 05:16 PM
My mind is made up!

Particularly after having found this old thread;
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?29802-Savage-Model-11-Hog-Hunter-questions

I had been going back and forth on a couple different models and had just bid on a discontinued model 10 carbine but stopped bidding once the price had reached near retail, +shipping, +transfer... The hog hunter though is another I had been interested in for quite a while. My biggest concern had been the stock but my intended use is in the .223 for coyotes at likely not more than 200 yards. I found the thread I linked above and have to say that's the best info I've found on model numbers and letter designation anywhere on the webz! There's so much bad information out there.

I have scope base and rings picked out but haven't made any final determination on a scope. I'm looking at Redfield Revolution, Leupold Rifleman, and maybe Vortex Crossfire or Diamondback. I'm leaning towards the Leupold Rifleman is made in the US, some Redfields are but I'm not sure the Revolution is.

Anyway, I want to thank you folks here as I've been able to find what I need on this model to make my decision and be confident in it!

Leatherman835
04-10-2016, 05:58 PM
I've also found a couple picture threads here and now I have a question.

Ive seen a number of rifles with the sights removed. I'm wondering, is it a must to remove the sights with say a set of low rings and a 40mm objective lens? Would any of those of you with the hog hunter mind taking the measurements for me to check for clearance? Please and thank you!

Leatherman835
04-10-2016, 06:00 PM
I may have figured it out, I just saw a photo of one with a 3-9x40 on low rings and the rear sight in tact. My bad, I apologize.

Lorenzo
04-10-2016, 10:20 PM
http://www.tacticalworks.com/tacticalblog/category/project-savage/
Heres how scroll down the page just a little.. I am going to do the same except get a Bell and carlson stock for it. I cant wait they are sweet guns for the money.

Leatherman835
04-11-2016, 12:08 PM
That's a pretty good article, good find and thanks for linking it up!

Leatherman835
04-11-2016, 06:03 PM
Could anyone tell me if the Hog Hunter has the plastic or metal trigger guard?

@Lorenzo
have you seen the picture thread?
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?35205-Any-Hog-Hunter-Pictures

JW
04-11-2016, 07:58 PM
My hog hunter had a plastic trigger guard

kkeene
04-12-2016, 01:48 PM
You will probably want to remove the sights unless you get a very short scope or use really tall rings.

A couple of screws and they are off. The scope mount screw hole plugs will fit to fill the holes.

I like my 308 hog hunter.

Keith

Leatherman835
04-12-2016, 06:37 PM
Sounds easy enough, thanks Keith!

WV1951
04-12-2016, 09:04 PM
If you have looked through both the Crossfire and Diamondback, was there any difference?

I believe some of the entry level Leupold/Redfield has many parts from the Pacific rim and I would think the Rifleman would probably be a good candidate. I looked at a Redfield Revenge today, rolled it over and made in Philippines sticker on it. Not a bad thing, just a fact of life these days.

Leatherman835
04-12-2016, 09:19 PM
If you have looked through both the Crossfire and Diamondback, was there any difference?

I believe some of the entry level Leupold/Redfield has many parts from the Pacific rim and I would think the Rifleman would probably be a good candidate. I looked at a Redfield Revenge today, rolled it over and made in Philippines sticker on it. Not a bad thing, just a fact of life these days.

I've looked at the Redfield Revenge on the SWFA site. They used to offer 3 or 4 lines of scope and now the Revenge is the only one listed. Once you click to open the Revenge scopes it says made in Oregon with pride. Given what you mentioned above, I'll call first and find out. If they're not made in the US, the Leupold Rifleman is my next choice, those are clearly listed as Made in the USA.

I have looked at both the Diamondback and Crossfire. There are some nice options with both and Vortex has been getting excellent reviews lately as well as gracing magazine covers. The biggest difference I saw between those two lines was that the Crossfire I think has an illuminated reticle which could be very useful.

I recommend checking out the SWFA site. They have a very large selection in stock.

Leatherman835
04-12-2016, 09:24 PM
A correction to my above post;

The Redfield Revolution, (not Revenge), is made in OR. I think the Revenge is discontinued and it may be that the Revolution is the only line still offered. They may not have as many options available as others but a nice reticle, 3-9x40 and made in the US for $179 is good for me.

WV1951
04-12-2016, 10:35 PM
Yes, the Revenge is no longer part of the line. The Revolution "USA*designed machined*assembled" is right on the scope. Why do they not put "Made in America" on it? Just askin'. Warranty is only for original purchaser.

Leatherman835
04-12-2016, 10:42 PM
Yes, the Revenge is no longer part of the line. The Revolution "USA*designed machined*assembled" is right on the scope. Why do they not put "Made in America" on it? Just askin'. Warranty is only for original purchaser.

Its a good question and makes me wonder. The Leupold rifleman says made in the US. I'll call before I make a final decision and report back with what I find. I'll call by Friday at the latest.

jonbearman
04-13-2016, 06:45 PM
The rear sight does move down does it not? I would think burris signature zee rings would do it with a 40mm objective. Buy a bushnell 6-24x40 model 4200 used and you will have a decent scope with long life.

Leatherman835
04-13-2016, 06:51 PM
I called Redfield on my way home from work, it's an hour drive and I don't really have anything else to do.

The number is answered "Luepold, Stevens". I spoke with a tech and he said the Redfield scopes are made right there in OR along side and with the same machines making Leupold. I'm sold, I try to buy American made in as much as I'm able so I had narrowed down my search to either the Redfield or Leupold.

I did see something interesting in one of the Vortex scopes I think it was. It was called an active target reticle. Think of a mildot but with 3 rings one above the other and of different sizes.

Leatherman835
04-16-2016, 02:43 PM
Purchased a Hog Hunter in .223 today and will have it tomorrow!

Leatherman835
04-18-2016, 06:45 PM
I have the hog hunter! Picked it up yesterday and to my surprise, the guy threw in a TruGlo tbx illuminated 4-16x50 with rings and bases! Everything is in good shape but for a couple scuffs or scratches. Minor and cosmetic and it was the right price!

I'm running in to trouble though. The scope is a little big for the rifle. As best I can tell the ring height is about 25mm to the center of the ring. It's a vertical style with two screws at the bottom and one in the middle at the top. When moved as far back as I can get it, it clears the rear sight ramp with daylight all the way around but the objective bell is very close. Additionally, I don't have a torque wrench to know how tight I've made it.

Heres my trouble;
I'm shooting way high. So high I've maxed out the adjustment and I'm only half way to where I need to be. If go any tighter on the elevation, the variable power ring won't turn. I need the opposite of a 20 MOA rail or shims or something or someway to get the front of the scope up. Probably taller rings too. I have a pic, but I have to figure out how to upload it first.

Please help! And thank you!

JW
04-19-2016, 06:24 AM
If the scope is touching anywhere other than the rings you will need different rings and possibly bases
I would of had to remove the rear sight to allow clearance for scope on the hog hunter I had
Jack

I read your post again a couple of times and it sounds like the rings or the scope is your problem
I would not rule out the scope being the problem
Glad you got the Hog hunter
I think you will enjoy it after you get the scope problem worked out

Leatherman835
04-19-2016, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the reply!

So moving forward, what would the process be? New mounts first? I'm strongly considering a one piece rail to help reduce some error, like an EGW. Different rings too. I'm not digging this style as there's just no way to tighten the rings to the base without also tightening to the scope.