PDA

View Full Version : Boyds stock commonality

WV1951
04-09-2016, 05:27 PM
First, I have a 12FV
I am not a thumb hole stock fan, but prefer the classic design. Boyd's choices for bull/varmint barrels seem limited to the thumb hole or pro varmint styles and not the classic design. Their website has a different action number and stock shape number(obviously) between the classic and thumb hole design. I would think the inletting for either a 10, 11, or 12 would be the same, but a difference in the barrel channel between the factory(sporter) and heavy barrel stocks .
Does anyone have first hand experience with ordering a 10, 11, or 12 Boyds stock for the factory barrel and simply deepening and widening the channel to accommodate the heavier barrel? Or would this stock not have enough meat to alter the channel? I can't tell if the bull barrel stocks are wider and thicker.

I found some references going the search function, but could not pin point it. Thought I would try here before contacting Boyds, which could be a crap shoot.

WV1951
04-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Picked this up from another thread from Dr Thunder

"Here's Boyds' explanation:

You cannot fit a varmint barrel into our Classic, FT or Prairie Hunter design stocks unless you are willing to give up the 'flats' or rails on the top and sides of the forend. The stock will be safe to use but cosmetically unpleasing to look at."

If I read this correctly, there is not enough forend to shave away to make the heavy barrel work?

WV1951
04-15-2016, 11:07 PM
I guess I will try Boyds.