PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10-FCP is pulling FGGM bullet out of casing

RebReed
04-08-2016, 12:08 PM
My .308 10FCP-SR is pulling the bullet out of the case when i try to unload an unfired round. I am using factory FGGM with 175 SMK. I have sent the rifle back to Savage twice now both times stating it is a throat issue. Both times they have sent it back with the note....head space-good, clean and polished chamber, yet the problem still continues. Im beyond frustrated with Savage's customer service at this point. Now, it will fire the round fine, no pressure signs or high velocity readings and is nuts-on accurate. I just don't like the idea of of not being able to unload an unfired round. Am I just going to have to deal with it???? Has any one else had this issue?????

Thanks

Hotolds442
04-08-2016, 12:13 PM
Several have had problems with the FGMM. Most of them have had it rectified by Savage. It IS a throat depth issue.

RebReed
04-08-2016, 12:18 PM
How can i get it through to Savage that it is a throat issue??? This last time i put a one-liner note saying, "throat is too short, pulls bullet out of factory ammo when trying to unload unfired round, needs throat reamer" Both times i have left the bullet stuck in the barrel. Ive always been a Savage guy...but this is really hacking me off.

Hotolds442
04-08-2016, 12:38 PM
Probably the biggest problem lies with the SAAMI spec and tolerances. If the throat is in spec, they probably won't do much to fix it.
Federal should also be building ammo to SAAMI spec. and also have their tolerance. Stack the two together and you can have issues.

LoneWolf
04-08-2016, 01:52 PM
Get a $30 lee hand press and 308 Seater die. For about $50-$60 you can seat the factory ammo a couple thousandths shorter or just start rolling your own!

How many rounds do you have down the barrel?

RebReed
04-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Get a $30 lee hand press and 308 Seater die. For about $50-$60 you can seat the factory ammo a couple thousandths shorter or just start rolling your own!

How many rounds do you have down the barrel?

I have all the reloading equipment (Lee and Hornady presses) just wanted to try a factory round that could be easily replicated with a reload.
In regards to rounds fired its less than 100.

LoneWolf
04-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Just run them through the seater die real quick. Evently, the throat will wear in and not be an issue. Otherwise, maybe if you explain to Savage what specific ammunition you're having issues with it may help them. They may factory spec the throat for 168's and below so guys can shoot the 150gr hunting bullets and such.

However, I've seen a lot of threads in the passed year about short throated Savage Rifles from the factory. Normally it has been the 6.5 Creedmoor's, but this is the first time I've heard it for one of the 308's. If they are testing it with a different factory ammo, they'll never replicate the results you're seeing though!

volt2amp
04-11-2016, 02:01 AM
Make sure the scope mount screws are not protruding into chamber.

Hotolds442
04-11-2016, 02:27 AM
Make sure the scope mount screws are not protruding into chamber.
That would be a VERY long screw.

volt2amp
04-11-2016, 06:01 PM
I've seen it more than once with EGW provided screw and their rails.

Hotolds442
04-11-2016, 07:30 PM
I've seen it more than once with EGW provided screw and their rails.
Amazing. So you're saying that the EGW base screw goes through the scope base, through the action, and through the barrel far enough to enter the chamber and cause the bullet to become dislodged in the throat of the barrel?
Better look again.

Robinhood
04-11-2016, 09:50 PM
That would be a VERY long screw.

.............and a very soft barrel.

However in full disclosure we have all seen the incorrect length screw bottom out on the barrel threads and damage the them to some extent, and some guys have even damaged their receiver threads at barrel removal. All together a different issue and impact than the op's issue. Another issue has been action screws influencing bolt operation due to protrusion into the raceway on the rear and into the bolt head lug area on the business end. again vastly different from the OP's issue.

hafejd30
04-11-2016, 10:12 PM
Just run them through the seater die real quick. Evently, the throat will wear in and not be an issue. Otherwise, maybe if you explain to Savage what specific ammunition you're having issues with it may help them. They may factory spec the throat for 168's and below so guys can shoot the 150gr hunting bullets and such.

However, I've seen a lot of threads in the passed year about short throated Savage Rifles from the factory. Normally it has been the 6.5 Creedmoor's, but this is the first time I've heard it for one of the 308's. If they are testing it with a different factory ammo, they'll never replicate the results you're seeing though!

I've also had this problem with a 308 barrel as well. Bought off a member on here as a takeoff barrel. So don't know exactly what it came off of. Think he said a cabelas exclusive model 10. I reload but measuring the oal a 168 fgmm will bite into the lands. Would Proly pull the bullet out as it's quite a bit, never attempted to chamber it. I put this barrel on my wife's rifle. As she will be using 150 game kings. The barrel does shoot good tho. But the 168/175 gr rounds look kinda stupid when seated .020 off the lands

RebReed
04-12-2016, 03:49 PM
Update: got my rifle back from Savage, it was the throat, they reamed it and the FGGM 175 cycles perfectly.

Hotolds442
04-12-2016, 04:27 PM
Let the fun begin!

Hscrugby
05-05-2016, 01:54 PM
Hmm... This sounds exactly like my wife's rifle issue. It's at savage now, hopefully they'll fix hers too.

thanks.