View Full Version : Guidance and Suggestions Requested...PLEASE

Pages : 1 [2]

m12lrs
04-08-2016, 05:13 AM
What ya do, buy a couple 4' wooden dowels, an 1/8" and 1/4" diameter should do ya. You can get them at most hardware and big box stores, Lowes, Home Depot etc. Stick the case w/bullet in the chamber, use the rod to push the bullet forward until it just touches the lands, lock it then use the dowel to push the mess out. If you're rechecking the same bullet or another back the dowel out a few inches and have at it.

Bill

Yep I use a cleaning rod but.a wooden dowel would be better. It takes a while to get the feeling for operating the gauge. You must make sure the case shoulder is tight against the chamber shoulder when you make.that measurement. You have to make sure the bullet is tight against the lands when you make that measurement. You have to take that measurement several times and get a repeatable dimension before you can declare success

Now there is one adjustment you can make to this measurement to be more accurate. The Hornaday case has not been fired in your chamber. If you use the Hornady headspace gauge and measure a fired case and the Hornady case and add the difference to your measurement it will be correct.

Texas10
04-08-2016, 06:52 AM
When using the Hornaday OAL tool, I've found that it helps to first use a chamber brush to clean out carbon buildup in the throat. I mounted mine on a section of an old 3 piece aluminum cleaning rod, chucked it in my electric drill, and scrub the chamber/throat. Swab some Eliminator or other chemical in the throat first. Then clean it out with carb cleaner, gun scrubber etc.

I use a blast of compressed air to blow it dry, then do my measurements. I tend to get more consistent readings that way. But still, and as some have said, it is somewhat of learned skill to get consistent measurements with that gage.

When I picked up a new 12FV for my son, before we ever fired it we measured and recorded every bullet we had as a base line, and then track throat erosion as it breaks in.

Now for the fun part, how to use your new OAL tool. This is a bit like reading the Tax Code, so grab a tall cup of coffee, your new gage, and try not to fry your noodle in the process…http://www.bergerbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/COAL.pdf

BillPa
04-08-2016, 09:28 AM
Well- I ordered the OAL gauge and tomorrow sometime I'll hit the local GS to see what they have- hopefully the 'Eliminator'...

Brian

If you can't find Eliminator pick up a bottle of Seafoam. I use the old GM T.E.C.( P/N 1050002) but the SF works just as well. Bore cleaners? One of the best is Tom Meredith's TM Solution. No ammonia, eats carbon, powder residue, copper, plastic, doesn't stink and doesn't taste too bad. :p It even eats the coating on coated rods...use SS! I also suggest before the TM or any bore cleaner use a foam, Wipe Out or Gunslick to get the worst of the stuff out. The less rod time the better.

Bill

LongRange
04-08-2016, 09:58 AM
mercury power tune works very well for carbon...almost as well as TEC.

Silvercrow1
04-08-2016, 11:14 PM
Looks like I'll be ordering cleaning materials- neither of the LGS in my area sell anything that's mentioned. Figures..

Texas 10- THANKKS for the link- can't wait to fry the bean with this stuff!

I found that my Hornady .22 rim measuring device will accept the comparators I need- saves me about 16 bucks...

I was telling the wife about all this tonight before she turned in. Watching her face, she had a wry smile. I said "I guess this is all silly to you..." to which she replied "This stuff keeps your mind sharp. I'm thankful it's this and not building hot-rods!"

Never doubted she was a special lady...:amen:

Midway says the stuff should be here Monday- figuring I'll order the comparator and headspace tools tomorrow night- should be able to begin learning this by end of next week. THEN we'll see how long it takes me to get halfway proficient with it.

Thanks you guys- finally thinking I'm going in the right direction.

Brian

FW Conch
04-09-2016, 08:27 AM
^ Ahhh, no hot rods ??? ^

I suppose brass poles are out of the question ? ;-))