PDA

View Full Version : Restocking Vintage 110 F, 7mm Mag

FreddieB
04-06-2016, 11:04 AM
I acquired a vintage Mod 110 F in 7 mm Mag, Serial # 38245. It has an external floor plate but is not hinged. It has a top bolt release and the extractor works in conjunction with a lug that is part of magazine housing when the bolt is cycled. The barrel is 24 inches and has a step where the rear sight is dovetailed in. I need help is determining what stock blank to buy or how I can tame this beast. It holds 1.5 to 2.25 inch groups all day long at 200 yards but kicks like a mule. I would appreciate any help anyone can give in identifying when this gun was manufactured and what I can do if anything to reduce the recoil. I don't want to install a muzzle brake since the gun is in near perfect condition. Regards FreddieB CPO-USN (Ret):smile-new:

Mad Dog
04-06-2016, 11:46 AM
No such animal as a 110F. It was made in 1963 so it's gotta be a 110E, which stands for "economy" so there probably isn't checkering on your stock, correct?

You could try a slip on recoil pad or if you want to swap stocks I'd go with a Boyds thumbhole. They're a bit heavier than the factory stock and come with a recoil pad installed already, plus it's a drop in 99% of the time. You'll have to order one in a long action/ blind mag.

FreddieB
04-06-2016, 02:02 PM
Thanks Mad Dog. I took another look at the marking and you are correct, it is an E and as you suggested there is no checkering. Thanks to my great camera on my phone I was able to zoom in and you can faintly see the lower limb of the E. Any recommendations as to how I handle the blind mag since on the original stock the mag opening is cut through? Do you think a hinged floor plate would fit or would I wind up with feed problem? Regards, FreddieB

Mad Dog
04-06-2016, 04:33 PM
Oh ya, I forgot how early it was. I wonder if you could get away with ordering one of the stocks for a hinged floorplate?

I know the spacing should be the same for the bolts but not sure on the bottom cut. Wish I had an early one here, if I did I'd take one of my other boyds stocks off and try the fit for you.

FreddieB
04-06-2016, 06:41 PM
Thanks again. I'm going to try the one for blind. I got a bit of experience in the stock making business and I believe I can make it work. Believe it or not the bluing on this old girl is about 98 % and appears to be the factory bluing. The fellow that sold it to me said he didn't use it much because the recoil was to much for him. He didn't say how long he had owned it but from the looks of it, it could not have had more that 50 rounds pushed through it. FreddieB