PDA

View Full Version : boyds stock???

ohihunter2014
04-05-2016, 12:55 PM
well I'm going to break down and get a Boyd's stock for my axis ii-223 heavy barrel and need some help.

I like the LOP of the plastic stock, I'm looking into laminate in pepper.

My question is what size do I order? Long action, short action? What's the LOP of the axis ii HB?

I will mainly be using this for bench and varmint shooting off a bipod.

Any suggestions on which stock to get? I have Burris signature Low or medium rings on the rifle now with a Vortex 4-12-44 scope.

thanks

DrThunder88
04-06-2016, 03:11 AM
.223 Remington will use a "short action" Boyds stock. Since that's the only action length they offer with a heavy barrel channel, you're in luck!

The factory plastic on the HB I just brought home has an LOP of 13.5".

The designs that don't lend themselves to HB rifles include the Classic, Prairie Hunter, and Featherweight Thumbhole. I like the Pro Varmint as its easier to install a cheek piece without a rollover cheek rest.

ohihunter2014
04-06-2016, 08:38 AM
.223 Remington will use a "short action" Boyds stock. Since that's the only action length they offer with a heavy barrel channel, you're in luck!

The factory plastic on the HB I just brought home has an LOP of 13.5".

The designs that don't lend themselves to HB rifles include the Classic, Prairie Hunter, and Featherweight Thumbhole. I like the Pro Varmint as its easier to install a cheek piece without a rollover cheek rest.

I would like the stock to not have the huge cheek piece on it, does any of the stocks above have just the plain side like the plastic stock?

You also lost me with the comment in bold?

twillis07
04-09-2016, 10:03 AM
I think what DrThunder meant by that statement is that those designs dont come ready made for the HB like the Pro Varment does. the barrel channels would have to be widened i think. as for the cheek weld..they are all wooden stocks so some time with some sand paper and you can have any cheek weld you like.

DrThunder88
04-12-2016, 01:05 AM
Here's Boyds' explanation:

You cannot fit a varmint barrel into our Classic, FT or Prairie Hunter design stocks unless you are willing to give up the 'flats' or rails on the top and sides of the forend. The stock will be safe to use but cosmetically unpleasing to look at.