View Full Version : Savage target action

Pages : 1 [2]

yobuck
04-09-2016, 09:59 AM
Yobuck some of these custom actions are like sliding a hot knife through melted butter, of course these are the real top end cnc'ed and then possibly stoned to perfection, but they are also in $3000 range and then some. I was at a match where one guys rifle & scope was probably in the $7000 plus range, his front rest was $1400, top of the line everything and he still didn't win but the rifle was beautiful to say the least.

I'm well aware of all that as I am familiar with some of these actions and have shot guns having them.
I still have one of several ive owned myself, although its an old one and isn't what you might call butter smooth.
I personaly think its just gotten to the point that's its so competitive, shooters are grasping at whatever straws they can
in hopes of winning.

jonesturf
04-22-2016, 09:52 PM
For bench rest I see merit in a good action but that's about the only sport. For PRS sure it helps but it's more about the shooter. Most other sports are the same. We all know savage action can produce one hole groups with good barrels.

I honestly thought I would be competing with one by now (custom) and I do have one but I don't have time on it. Hard to validate not shooting the same rifle I've shot for the last 18k rounds when it still shoots lights out. I don't even notice my action when I run stages. After this barrel it is getting made into a 223 trainer though.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

chetc
07-14-2016, 07:14 AM
The guys that say that it can't been done with a Savage action are the same guys who couldn't do it with a custom action. One of these days they will realize it's not the sword, it's the swordsmanship. The last registered short range match I shot in turned a few heads after I shot a 100 yd heavy gun small group of .169" in hurricane conditions. Maybe some of you will remember this:
http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?84709-Hurricane-Sandy-Pays-Visit-to-79th-Annual-Shelby-County-Fall-Finale-Match!

Hi Fred

I am curious, what caliber were you shooting and were you using the savage nut concept or the no nut set up

Chet

yobuck
07-14-2016, 11:02 AM
uhhh I'm gonna crawl out on the limb and say he dosent use the nut. lol

gbflyer
07-14-2016, 12:55 PM
You used to mainly see the custom actions at BR matches mostly because they are lighter, not just because they cost more or grouped better than anything else. It was thought better to save ounces in action weight and use them in the barrel. For that reason, the Stolle actions and the like were the mainstay. Not sure how it works today.

yobuck
07-15-2016, 10:13 AM
When it gets to the point that the (majority) of competetors are using custom actions, then it stands to reason that more matches will be won by shooters using them. That's not to imply that they don't make for a better gun, especially in some types of competition.
But until about 5 years ago, the 1000 yd heavy gun benchrest record was held for 14 years by John Voinaida , a machine shop teacher who built his own gun on a Rem 721 action. It also had a plain jane 24x Leupold scope.
We would be very very wealthy if we had a dollar for each round sent downrange chasing that record at the Williamsport range alone with all types of guns built by the best of gunsmiths.
Someday the lottery might be won there again, and won for the same reason.

rjtfroggy
07-15-2016, 05:46 PM
This past Sunday 7/10 while practicing for an upcoming match after shooting 5 fowlers I put 5 shots into the 1/2" circle with room to spare, measured 0.158 c-c.
The next 10 shots at a score target scored 47. My fault, I threw 2 nines because of a bad habit of having my finger in the trigger guard while getting on the dot, result gun fires when not ready, lucky I was close to center and fell between the 9 & 10 ring. The third 9 I'm still trying to figure out, just one of those WTF.
This is with a factory , no adjustments to anything PTA wearing a Apache X-Caliber 6mm BR Norma and a new Weaver XR 46x.
So IMO a Savage action at a third of the price can compete with the customs, not as smooth or as pretty but it can keep up