PDA

View Full Version : cutting the barrel on my 12FV

waumpuscat
04-05-2016, 12:53 AM
I absolutely do not want to sacrifice accuracy so my question is if I want to take a few inches off of my new FV12 so hunting situations will be more manageable with a suppressor, will it likely affect accuracy or not. Has anyone done this and compared before and after groups. My rifle is 308, new in the box. Thanks

foxx
04-05-2016, 01:03 AM
I have not done it, but the .308 is generally considered an excellent candidate for shorter barrels. You will lose velocity, of course, but not accuracy.

To save money, however, I would suggest you sell the barrel you have (before shooting it) and get a used .308 to cut down. >308's will likely never wear out and can be had cheap. I bet you could get a sporter barrel for roughly $50 and sell what you have for $150.

Hotolds442
04-05-2016, 01:21 AM
Better yet, find a Hog Hunter take-off in 308. It will fit your stock's barrel channel better, since its roughly the same contour as your FV, and it's already threaded for your shooting pleasure.
Remington proved that the 308 was an excellent choice for a short barreled rifle back in the 60's with the introduction of the Model 600.

waumpuscat
04-05-2016, 11:47 AM
very helpful and appreciated

darkker
04-05-2016, 01:23 PM
It seems that you want an absolute, in a question that has several variables.
So an unknown barrel(hog hunter/ sporter) adds to the unknown in accuracy dept.

As long as you don't use a 1/2" wide chop-saw and heat the crap out of it, while cutting it; it isn't going to affect accuracy in the sense that you mean.
Harmonics will be different of course, so don't expect that the same load that USED to work will be amazing after cutting. When things change, they change. A shorter barrel will have more rigidity, so the loads will need to be worked again for accuracy.

waumpuscat
04-05-2016, 07:45 PM
I think if i choose to cut this barrel I will take it to the local machine shop and let them cut and thread it but I really like the idea of finding a Hog Hunter barrel. That sounds pretty good

GrumpyGuns
04-07-2016, 07:05 PM
I cut my 223 barrel from 22" down to 18" I used a hacksaw and squared with files. Accuracy stayed about the same maybe a smidge better. It sure is easy to drag it around in the brush.