PDA

View Full Version : How to fix a tasco since their warranty is stupid.

Benmuncie
04-04-2016, 04:52 PM
Why would you want to fix it? Good question. But just in case you want to use it on a plinker 22... I got a "ruined" tasco on a 110 F series I just bought. The lenses were blurry and flaking on from the inside. I called Bushnell (the owner of Tasco) and they want $48 dollars to fix a $56 scope. Not going to happen and I won't buy from them. That's another topic. My 110 likes its new Redfield friend.
I found out that the entire scope comes apart. Here's how I cleaned it and you can too if you have 30 minutes to kill. I don't know all of the actual names for scope parts, so I tried to think of descriptive terms.

1. Loosen the lock nut on the focus end of the scope.
2. Unscrew the end off of the scope.
3. Notice the two slots opposite of each other on the inside of the lens housing. Take a small screwdriver and use it to unscrew the internal threaded ring.
4. The inside lens is now loose. Make sure you pay attention and notice that the concave end of the internal lens is facing the optic.
5. Remove the internal lens and clean it.
6. Put the lens back in the way it came out and screw the threaded ring back in until it is snug.
7. Hold the very end of the scope with one hand and hold the bell housing with the other, then unscrew the external lens.
8. Clean the external lens and then put it back together.
9. The objective lens also comes out simply by unscrewing the objective end of the scope. Notice how far in the outside ring is set on the objective side. This effects paralax.

If that doesn't work, throw it in the trash :-)

Hope that helps.

Ben

Hotolds442
04-04-2016, 07:06 PM
Hmmmm........Tasco........
I'd go directly to step 10, and have in the past.
Even the early Tasco scopes are comparable to the $39 Walmart blister pack scopes.

Benmuncie
04-04-2016, 07:16 PM
#10 is usually the best option. Every Tasco I've brought in on a used rifle purchase has resulted in frustration. But I like taking my things apart and I couldn't help myself.

psharon97
04-04-2016, 10:12 PM
How to fix a tasco/barska/any other POS scope: throw it in the trash and spend a little more money next time. If you spend $400 on a rifle, look at spending ~200 on a scope. A couple of years will go by and you won't remember how much spent on quality glass. You will remember not having to fight with the scope to maintain zero though

Robinhood
04-04-2016, 10:44 PM
What no argon or nitrogen purge

lp04
04-05-2016, 11:46 PM
Nikon buckmaster 4-12x40 $140 walmart. Thats what i run on my hunting rifles and couldnt be happier

Benmuncie
04-06-2016, 04:28 PM
Nikons are in my budget and I have a p223 on my model 11 243. It shoots great. I haven't used a buckmaster, but I like that it goes to 12 power. That sounds like a good option for my 110 in 25-06

Magnumdood
04-08-2016, 01:51 AM
It's not unheard of to spend more on your optic than you spent on your rifle.

SNORTHRUP1
05-04-2016, 01:16 PM
I have a Nikon PROSTAFF 4-12x40 on two of my rifles and love them both. Even with the magnification at 12 power the optic is clear.