PDA

View Full Version : Converting 110 in 7mm Rem Mag to 28 Nosler?

LifeAndLiberty
04-04-2016, 11:42 AM
Hi all, new member, I figure this might be the best place to ask.

What would be involved if I wanted to convert my Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag to 28 Nosler? From what I understand, I'll need a gunsmith to ream it a bit (not a big deal for my local smith provided I can furnish a reamer and a set of gauges). I also know the detachable magazine will accommodate the 28 Nosler cartridge. What else would be required to check or change to fully convert the rifle to 28 Nosler? Has anyone done this yet?

Thanks,

Hotolds442
04-04-2016, 06:39 PM
The 28 is a straight rechamber. It will clear the current 7mm Remington Mag chamber without setback. You will need nothing else to do the conversion, although 195's may be a single shot proposition if your throat is too long.

LifeAndLiberty
04-05-2016, 06:57 PM
The 28 is a straight rechamber. It will clear the current 7mm Remington Mag chamber without setback. You will need nothing else to do the conversion, although 195's may be a single shot proposition if your throat is too long.

Thank you. I'm getting conflicting information from different sources, all of which I respect, some saying I would need to change the feed rails to accomodate an ultra mag case, but that conflicts with other information I've read online about the parent case of the 28 Nosler. Hotolds, have you done the conversion?

Did you mean 195 or 175 grain bullets? The highest I'd consider shooting were 175 grain since the twist is 1:9.5".

Thank you

Hotolds442
04-05-2016, 07:11 PM
I have not done the conversion, but the wheels are turning. Remington actions will need feed ramp modifications but with the Savage, since the feed rails are part of the magazine, it should be easy to do if necessary. And yes, I did mean 195's. There's a pretty good write-up on LRH on them from Ryan Pierce of Piercision Rifles. I would throat mine for the 195's if I was to start acquiring parts. I just haven't justified the build yet.

LifeAndLiberty
04-05-2016, 07:43 PM
I have not done the conversion, but the wheels are turning. Remington actions will need feed ramp modifications but with the Savage, since the feed rails are part of the magazine, it should be easy to do if necessary. And yes, I did mean 195's. There's a pretty good write-up on LRH on them from Ryan Pierce of Piercision Rifles. I would throat mine for the 195's if I was to start acquiring parts. I just haven't justified the build yet.

Thank you. I'm not sure the 195s, if they are much longer than the 175s, will even fit in the magazine. It's pretty close as it is from what I'm reading. I will go look for that thread on LRH. Thanks again. Once this project gets underway, I will post updates for anyone else who may be interested.

Hotolds442
04-05-2016, 08:29 PM
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/28-nosler-195-berger-re33-testing-159270/