PDA

View Full Version : think my brake is broken

Pages : 1 2 [3]

doctnj
04-09-2016, 04:30 PM
Went to the range with lots of good suggestions and put many of them to work today. Did quite a bit of shooting at 400 so that coming off the target would be extremely noticeable. First thing that I changed was getting on to the ground and off the hard table. I made sure I was in a pretty good position and loaded the bipod. The mat we use has a sewn in strap that allows you to get a nice load. I concentrated on not blinking and what do you know? I actually kept the target in the middle of my sight picture. Not every time but much much more than ever before. My confidence is back, well... somewhat any how. When I did loose the target, it was in random directions and not always left so I dont think it is the brake just bad habits.

Now what do you think of this. I watched my wife shoot a nice tight group at 100 and I had a 1 1/4 inch vertical spread. This is a load that I did a ladder test on and it worked very nice when I picked it. Much tighter than this. But, I had to seat the bullet considerably deeper to get it to reliably feed from the magazine. That is the only thing that has changed from the ladder test. Oh, and lots of powder of course. Now the strange part. I then go out to 200 and shoot basically a 1 inch group. Then out to 300 and shoot a 3 inch group. then maybe a 3 1/2 at 400. I should be happy with 3 1/2 at 400 yrds right? This is the second week in a row that it was spread out a little at 100 yrds. I could be over thinking it and shanking a few but my question is this. If Im getting real nice groups out at distance I shouldnt really care what happens at 100 yrds right? I know.... if it doesnt start accurate it wont become accurate.... so its got to be me is my guess.

jonesturf
04-09-2016, 08:55 PM
with all that said i found the biggest thing is trigger time...after all that testing and playing with different things i started filming myself shooting and found several things that caused more problems than any of the loading or rifle issues i thought was causing problems...and at the top of the list was rolling my shoulder forward into the butt pad...that one took me a LONG time to correct and every now and then i still catch myself doing it.

as LW said work on fundamentals and dont worry so much about one hole groups they will come later when you have better control.

If I could go back and not waste time on searching for the perfect load for my first 10 years of precision rifle shooting I would have been much better off. I did enjoy load development and still do but spend no more than 60 rounds on it anymore.

To the original question....whomever mentioned barrel twist and the forces acting against it is correct. Most brakes of that design will exhibit some consistent side to side movement usually due to twist and design of the brake.

eddiesindian
04-09-2016, 09:57 PM
Went to the range with lots of good suggestions and put many of them to work today. Did quite a bit of shooting at 400 so that coming off the target would be extremely noticeable. First thing that I changed was getting on to the ground and off the hard table. I made sure I was in a pretty good position and loaded the bipod. The mat we use has a sewn in strap that allows you to get a nice load. I concentrated on not blinking and what do you know? I actually kept the target in the middle of my sight picture. Not every time but much much more than ever before. My confidence is back, well... somewhat any how. When I did loose the target, it was in random directions and not always left so I dont think it is the brake just bad habits.

Now what do you think of this. I watched my wife shoot a nice tight group at 100 and I had a 1 1/4 inch vertical spread. This is a load that I did a ladder test on and it worked very nice when I picked it. Much tighter than this. But, I had to seat the bullet considerably deeper to get it to reliably feed from the magazine. That is the only thing that has changed from the ladder test. Oh, and lots of powder of course. Now the strange part. I then go out to 200 and shoot basically a 1 inch group. Then out to 300 and shoot a 3 inch group. then maybe a 3 1/2 at 400. I should be happy with 3 1/2 at 400 yrds right? This is the second week in a row that it was spread out a little at 100 yrds. I could be over thinking it and shanking a few but my question is this. If Im getting real nice groups out at distance I shouldnt really care what happens at 100 yrds right? I know.... if it doesnt start accurate it wont become accurate.... so its got to be me is my guess.
Different lot # propellant along with changed seating depths equate to change.
Its been my experience that load development results at 100 (to me) which are consistent with small tight groupings results in "tighter" groupings at distance.
I had a younger shooting buddy (mid 20s) who tagged along with me for a spell while shooting long distance. I worked up an accurate load for the kids rifle. Rem 700. heavy varmit 26" 1-12... I chronographed and worked out the ballistics for the kid. I frequently shot his rig and was able to obtain positive results from 300 out to 1K. With him behind the rig, the outcome proved to be inaccurate. I visually watched him work his rifle and realized all his short commings. I advised him on just about everything that shooters here in the sight have told you. the one thing I believe helped him the most was I made him purchase and use snap caps as to practice body position,s and dry firing with the scope cranked to full mag so he could see all of his movements magnified while going thru the motions of pulling the trigger. few months later I came upon him at the range and low and behold, the kids hitting his objectives. he showed me the snap cap he was using and Ill be darned if he didn't wear the dam thing out. Later that evening I went down to the local GS and bought me a snap cap and started taking my own advise lololololoololo..............

eddiesindian
04-09-2016, 10:11 PM
This 8 shot pattern that Dave (long range) acquired at 100 equates to tighter patterns at distance. You,ll win bragging rights when tossing them out to 1K. ( with proper wind dope)
Its been a while since Ive acquired an 8 shoot grouping like that. Most I can do is a 5 shot grouping like that.
My point?...... Nice and tight @ 100 = tighter groupings at distance.
Just my 2 cents
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff515/LTT-/Mobile%20Uploads/1454788678.jpg

LongRange
04-10-2016, 09:50 AM
Trigger time!!

yobuck
04-10-2016, 10:36 AM
well i can see my impacts at every distance so i dont need a spotter and as a matter of fact when i shoot matches i ask the squad i get put with to NOT call hits or misses or call if i was low..high..left or right because i can see where my shots impact and(as i tell the squad)im not trying to be a dick but i dont like hearing all the chatter when im shooting all i what to hear is the next distance nothing else.

but we are not talking about bench rest shooting off bags where the rifle slides straight back...if your shooting in positions or off a bipod and chasing your rifle it causes problems.

Well if you can that's wonderfull. But not everybody can, and everybody wont at every location and under all conditions and distances.
Like say 6" of snow or certain types of vegetation or ground cover where no dust or other indicators appears on the hit.
Id agree with not wanting lots of chatter going on from multiple spotters. Just one, experienced to offer advice if and when its needed.
My comments were intended as general in nature, and not directed at you or any other experienced shooters who obviously need no help.

doctnj
04-10-2016, 12:01 PM
I found it to be a completely new and exciting experience to have the target remain basically centered in the reticle after the shot.

I was playing around with the idea that I should re run the ladder test around the load I am shooting if the problem persists of me not being able to keep
a tight group at 100. Last week I couldnt seem to hit where I was aiming so I gave the rifle to my wife. She shot a few times and handed it back saying its dead on. Well I want to pursue that a little more and have her shoot it more than 2 or 3 shots and see if that is true. If she puts them all together then I indeed know its all me. I have too much form and technique issues going on to get to wrapped up in changing the load. When I was working up this load I shot off a front bag. Do you think I should check it off a front bag again to see if the changes to the cartridge have really changed poi that much?

LoneWolf
04-10-2016, 12:05 PM
I always do load dev and group tests the same way as I'm most likely going to be shooting the rifle. Recoil characteristics change when shot differently. Since the majority of my shooting is shot prone off a bipod and rear bag, then that is how I work load dev.