PDA

View Full Version : think my brake is broken

Pages : 1 [2] 3

yobuck
04-05-2016, 10:54 AM
Well id agree with what LR said, but my question would be are chasis type guns shot off bipods intended to be
used for shooting small groups from benches? Would the same gun in a benchrest stock using a proper rest show different results?

LoneWolf
04-05-2016, 11:57 AM
Well id agree with what LR said, but my question would be are chasis type guns shot off bipods intended to be
used for shooting small groups from benches? Would the same gun in a benchrest stock using a proper rest show different results?

Only because it's easier to shoot off a rest on a bench than it is a bipod because the rifle is mechanically driven rather than shooter driven...

yobuck
04-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Only because it's easier to shoot off a rest on a bench than it is a bipod because the rifle is mechanically driven rather than shooter driven...

Not sure I'm following you on that, but I'm assuming your saying the results depend upon the quality of the shooters.
To which I would concede, and ask that it always depends on the quality of the shooter dosent it?

LoneWolf
04-05-2016, 02:42 PM
I'm saying it's easier to shoot a BR set up off a bench (hence the reason it's called bench rest) due to the fact that you have a mechanical device to adjust and steady the rifle.

When using a traditional non-FClass type bipod it's up to the shooter to get into a good position that supports and steadies the rifle.

I'm not really impressed with accurate shooting with some of the crazy Bench gun or FClass setups that look like they take out every issue, but a wind call.

There was a guy that used to shoot our long range steel matches with a 35lbs 300WinMag F-Class Rifle using a mechanical front rest. He'd shoot the match clean almost every time with the furthest targets only being at 900yds. No one was impressed by it because any shooter on the line could win with that rifle/set up unless there was some really extreme wind or something. That's when the club starting running tactical matches more often and setup more rules about the set ups that could be used.

sharpshooter
04-05-2016, 10:49 PM
All I can say is that all you steel bangers could learn a lot by attending a real bench rest match and just observe. You may have the opinion that what bench resters do have no real connection to your discipline, and anybody could do it with that kind of equipment. Once you soak it in, you'll have a whole new way of thnking.
Every little accuracy improvement that is associated with precision shooting in the last 50 yrs., including bullets, barrels, bedding, powder, stocks, optics and other misc. gadgets and tools, can be attributed to a "bench rest shooter".

LoneWolf
04-05-2016, 10:59 PM
All I can say is that all you steel bangers could learn a lot by attending a real bench rest match and just observe. You may have the opinion that what bench resters do have no real connection to your discipline, and anybody could do it with that kind of equipment. Once you soak it in, you'll have a whole new way of thnking.
Every little accuracy improvement that is associated with precision shooting in the last 50 yrs., including bullets, barrels, bedding, powder, stocks, optics and other misc. gadgets and tools, can be attributed to a "bench rest shooter".

Completely agree Fred! A lot has come from High Power/XC/and PRS type shooting as well. I'm just to young and hard headed to be confined to a bench or shoot all belly matches, but I do try many different practices as they all apply in some way or another to the style of shooting I primarily compete in. That's the best part of PRS is there's a little bit of everything.

eddiesindian
04-06-2016, 12:09 AM
It didnt help matters that I was having a hard time putting good groups together as well. I sometimes dont understand how you can go out one time and shoot like a laser beam one day then on another, you cant put together one really good group. So then when I couldnt keep it on target my confidence went in the crapper. This will be eating my lunch all week till I can get back out and figure out what is going on. I appreciate all the pointers.

The first thing I have to do is get out and shoot off front bag and see if it still flips left. I realize that a bag will probably minimize the flip but if there is none at all or very very little then Ill realize that the rubber feet on the hard surface may have multiplied the issue. I need to shoot at distance with the bag as well as off the ground at distance then off bipod and compare all three. If they are all three similar results then I have to look very closely at me then finally the brake. That at least for now is my plan of attack.

My wife needs a new brake so we may look at the apa little b for her. That way I can see it up close and see how it works. Does it use a timing washer?
Everybody has those days. One day your the real deal, the next a lost soul.
agree with everyone else. Trigger time. Fundamentals.
There's days when I know I'm not one with the gun.from having a bad day to being just plain tired.
What's helped me is using snap caps for dry firing. That a long with simple 3" cross hairs I make using a red marker on a plain white paper. When I align the black cross hairs from scope to the red cross hairs on the paper, the red cross hairs disappear. If I move even the slightest horizontally or vertically during the process, the red cross hair reappears. Works for me.

doctnj
04-06-2016, 07:35 AM
As a family, we do a lot of long range shooting because it IS shooter sensitive. That brings out the competitive nature in our family. We had an opportunity to go to a class that used the f type rests and I/we totally passed. Thats not how we will shoot so really other than ballistics and verifying dope I dont think that would be as good as classes that use bipods and other means of support that relies on shooter skills and fundamentals of marksmanship.

I talked with a local smith yesterday and sent him pictures and measurements of my wifes existing brake so he can start the process of making her something that doesnt throw dirt in your face. I will say this about the radial brake thats on there now. Its the most neutral brake I think ive ever shot. But a face full of crap every time you pull the trigger is not worth it. So I will see what he spins up for her and how it works. She has a very similar rifle to mine so this is a pretty cool comparison when its all said and done.

This smith builds all kinds of custom rigs, but specializes in race guns where getting muzzle movement completely neutral with a brake is the goal for speed shooting. If after he gets done and I personally have similar results on hers I will feel a lot better about my own rig.

And as soon as I get my creedmoor and 338 back from Fred Ill put them together and compare muzzle movement with them. I do remember sight picture interuption, I just dont remember what direction they went. The reason I was hyper focused on this is when everyone says "see your hits". I dont know maybe 400 yrds is too close to regain sight picture to be able to see your hits?

For now I will not worry about it but just shoot.

LongRange
04-06-2016, 08:29 AM
if you can not see hits at all distances you have some work to do....i can see all of my impacts even with my long action 260 without a break but that rifle is just under 20lbs...one of the biggest things ive noticed when ppl cant see their impacts is they blink or flinch when shooting or both...both will cause you to come off the scope.

yobuck
04-06-2016, 09:38 AM
all i can say is that all you steel bangers could learn a lot by attending a real bench rest match and just observe. You may have the opinion that what bench resters do have no real connection to your discipline, and anybody could do it with that kind of equipment. Once you soak it in, you'll have a whole new way of thnking.
Every little accuracy improvement that is associated with precision shooting in the last 50 yrs., including bullets, barrels, bedding, powder, stocks, optics and other misc. Gadgets and tools, can be attributed to a "bench rest shooter".

ahmen.

doctnj
04-06-2016, 09:50 AM
You are absolutely correct there. I just read on another thread that if a rifle goes to one side every time it is likely the slant of the shoulder putting it there. I could have very well had my shoulder slanted back or just not square enough to keep it on target. On sat. I shot my wifes new rifle and I watched every round hit the paper and was really impressed I could do it. That is one big reason I was trying to do it with mine. I did/do still struggle with blinking but not so much on Sunday. But it wouldn't have mattered if I blinked because it just plain went left. I saw another drill to help get the shoulder square. Basically you get in position and with the right hand extend your arm and reach for the fore arm. Once extended you almost freeze you shoulder and just articulate you elbow and bring the hand back to the trigger. I may try this.

OK I am aslo going to tell on my self. Don't know if it attributed or not but I cant leave this out. It was a really nice day so I was shooting with out a shirt on. Could have contributed to the slip I guess. Im going to have T. video me from several angles so I can see my set up and shoulder angle. Going to do that with dry fire and then out at the range. I liken this whole thing to my trainer in body building. She is constantly yelling corrections at me for an hour because I slip into bad habits especially as I get tired. I think Im going to have a t shirt made that says "stop moving your neck".

LongRange
04-06-2016, 10:28 AM
you need to shoot in a relaxed position and bring the rifle to you not move into the rifle...if your moving to the rifle that will cause you to roll your shoulder forward..if your blinking when you shoot you are most likely flinching too...good positions to set a camera to see bad habits are directly over you with the camera pointing down and focused from your shoulder to the end of the muzzle...close up shots of your trigger finger as your shooting and close ups of your face on the opposite side of your scope eye(so left side if your right handed)then watch the vids in slow motion...if your tensed up it will cause twitching and involuntary muscle movement.

LoneWolf
04-06-2016, 10:33 AM
And stay focused on the crosshairs. All the way through the recoil pulse. It will help with both blinking/flinching.

eddiesindian
04-06-2016, 10:52 AM
And stay focused on the crosshairs. All the way through the recoil pulse. It will help with both blinking/flinching.
+1.... To me?..thats one of thee most important factors.
"this" is the main reason I use home made cross hair targets. Cross hair on target aligned to cross hair at scope. It helps me get back to the basics. Sometimes (as Im sure other long range shooters do) we "at times" over think things.

yobuck
04-06-2016, 10:55 AM
if you can not see hits at all distances you have some work to do....i can see all of my impacts even with my long action 260 without a break but that rifle is just under 20lbs...one of the biggest things ive noticed when ppl cant see their impacts is they blink or flinch when shooting or both...both will cause you to come off the scope.

In general terms I don't agree with you on this. Not implying that (you) cant do as you say here.
But an average shooter or even an above average shooter wont be seeing all his hits at the closer distances.
Especially when using a bipod from a bench. Granted, the heavier the gun the easier it becomes.
But at 500 yds the bullet arrives as quick as we can blink, or maybe unknowingly recover from blinking.
Seeing the hit is important in long range shooting for sure. Seeing the hit in long range hunting,
is even more important because regardless of whats said, they usually dont just fall over dead.
Id recommend a team effort, with you spotting for your wife and vice versa. Its supposed to be fun, at least
for the most of us. When it starts becoming work, then it ceases being fun, but again for the most of us.

yobuck
04-06-2016, 11:53 AM
you need to shoot in a relaxed position and bring the rifle to you not move into the rifle...if your moving to the rifle that will cause you to roll your shoulder forward..if your blinking when you shoot you are most likely flinching too...good positions to set a camera to see bad habits are directly over you with the camera pointing down and focused from your shoulder to the end of the muzzle...close up shots of your trigger finger as your shooting and close ups of your face on the opposite side of your scope eye(so left side if your right handed)then watch the vids in slow motion...if your tensed up it will cause twitching and involuntary muscle movement.

If you go to a benchrest match and observe, especially where heavy recoil guns are used, you will see the gun setup and aligned with the target.
After each shot, the shooter will slide the gun forward to its original position on the bags, and realign himself behind the gun, and not bring the gun to him.
The modern way seems to be to use lighter recoiling guns with stocks that ride straight back on the bags. Then shoot all the shots as fast as you can reload without realinging the gun.
Ten shots in under 1 minit cant include much of anything but loading and sending it. I'm not sure if the current
world record group, the smallest ever shot with any gun at that distance, was shot in this manner or not.
But it was a 16.5 # gun and not a heavy version as is allowed in the heavy class. Had he shot this group with this gun, in a heavy gun match as many do, he would be holding both records today.
Point is that the discipline determines things as to how we shoot moreso than personal choice. And nowhere would that be more important than in traditional position shooting.

LongRange
04-06-2016, 05:00 PM
In general terms I don't agree with you on this. Not implying that (you) cant do as you say here.
But an average shooter or even an above average shooter wont be seeing all his hits at the closer distances.
Especially when using a bipod from a bench. Granted, the heavier the gun the easier it becomes.
But at 500 yds the bullet arrives as quick as we can blink, or maybe unknowingly recover from blinking.
Seeing the hit is important in long range shooting for sure. Seeing the hit in long range hunting,
is even more important because regardless of whats said, they usually dont just fall over dead.
Id recommend a team effort, with you spotting for your wife and vice versa. Its supposed to be fun, at least
for the most of us. When it starts becoming work, then it ceases being fun, but again for the most of us.

well i can see my impacts at every distance so i dont need a spotter and as a matter of fact when i shoot matches i ask the squad i get put with to NOT call hits or misses or call if i was low..high..left or right because i can see where my shots impact and(as i tell the squad)im not trying to be a dick but i dont like hearing all the chatter when im shooting all i what to hear is the next distance nothing else.

If you go to a benchrest match and observe, especially where heavy recoil guns are used, you will see the gun setup and aligned with the target.
After each shot, the shooter will slide the gun forward to its original position on the bags, and realign himself behind the gun, and not bring the gun to him.
The modern way seems to be to use lighter recoiling guns with stocks that ride straight back on the bags. Then shoot all the shots as fast as you can reload without realinging the gun.
Ten shots in under 1 minit cant include much of anything but loading and sending it. I'm not sure if the current
world record group, the smallest ever shot with any gun at that distance, was shot in this manner or not.
But it was a 16.5 # gun and not a heavy version as is allowed in the heavy class. Had he shot this group with this gun, in a heavy gun match as many do, he would be holding both records today.
Point is that the discipline determines things as to how we shoot moreso than personal choice. And nowhere would that be more important than in traditional position shooting.

but we are not talking about bench rest shooting off bags where the rifle slides straight back...if your shooting in positions or off a bipod and chasing your rifle it causes problems.

LoneWolf
04-06-2016, 05:03 PM
well i can see my impacts at every distance so i dont need a spotter and as a matter of fact when i shoot matches i ask the squad i get put with to NOT call hits or misses or call if i was low..high..left or right because i can see where my shots impact and(as i tell the squad)im not trying to be a dick but i dont like hearing all the chatter when im shooting all i what to hear is the next distance nothing else.

but we are not talking about bench rest shooting off bags where the rifle slides straight back...if your shooting in positions or off a bipod and chasing your rifle it causes problems.

:deadhorse:

Hotolds442
04-06-2016, 08:44 PM
Poor horse.....

LongRange
04-06-2016, 09:04 PM
Poor old horse.....

fixed it.