PDA

View Full Version : Savage 200 accuracy improvement

Devildog90
04-01-2016, 12:57 PM
I have a savage model 200 Stevens my dad bought me it's completely factory no mods I want the accuracy to be improved. I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction for stocks and trigger mods. I absolutely hate the factory stock it's very flimsy and the trigger feels like it takes 10 pounds of pull. I do have a budget in mind of no more that 300 to put in it.

jpdown
04-01-2016, 01:28 PM
How do you plan to use the rifle? Mostly hunting or paper punching? Based on your budget, I would look at a Rifle Basix Savage #1 trigger that is adjustable to 1-3 lbs pull. Then get a hardwood/walnut or laminated wood stock and glass bed your action and recoil lug free floating the barrel and tang. Numrich Gun parts has a number of discontinued Savage factory walnut and hardwood stocks that will work with Stevens 200 action at good prices. Boyd's Gun Stocks offers more styles and custom options for a budget build.

Devildog90
04-01-2016, 02:24 PM
I'll look at the trigger and it's a hunting rifle. Would you recommend to bed the action and will 110 parts interchange with the 200?

HalfTrack
04-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Hi DevilDog90, I completely agree with JP. The laminate stocks available and hardwood will change the look and the performance significantly. I had a 200 and put in the Rifle Basix Savage #1, the adjustments went very easily but I'd suggest you look at the amount of side-to-side movement and maybe shim it. I also needed to recheck the safety and over travel settings after it broke in to make sure they were still set properly. I only ever tested mine out to 200 yards but I was very happy with the results. Good luck... BTW, I used mine in both .223 rem and .308 win with no negatives. Hope this helps.
Bruce

Devildog90
04-01-2016, 03:27 PM
Ok great advice you guys thanks a lot! Just one more I didn't think of is has anyone used the timney triggers?

HalfTrack
04-01-2016, 04:52 PM
Hi Devildog90, I have used the Rifle Basix #1 and the #2 triggers, but not the timney. That's gonna increase your budget significantly.
Everyone I have read says they are absolutely great.
Bruce

rjsixgun
04-03-2016, 06:37 PM
You can tune a factory Stevens 200 trigger very easy with a turn of a screw.
Boyd's makes a great stock that's about 100 bucks.

DanSavage
04-03-2016, 07:04 PM
What cartridge is the 200? Do you reload?

homer76
04-03-2016, 07:36 PM
I have 2 Savage rifles (pre-accutrigger) and I installed Timney Triggers on both. They are excellent triggers. You don't have much of a budget. Boyd's are excellent stocks. If you don't want to buy a new stock you can always stiffen the for end of the plastic stock. Before I upgraded my stock I cut out the ribs and epoxied a couple of arrow shafts. I also bedded the action using JB Weld and I improved things considerably. Make you do your research on bedding actions before you try it.

I must warn you that tinkering with Savage rifles is addictive and you won't be able to stop at one.

Devildog90
04-05-2016, 10:08 AM
It is a 30-06 and homer76 I have thought of that but think I just want to go with a Boyd's and bed the action. Also you are right my wife is already rolling her eyes as I'm suffering the web trying to soak up as much as I can thanks for all the help guys your a great group!

Devildog90
04-14-2016, 02:20 PM
So as further research I think I have settled on the bell and Carlson spotter stock I love the synthetic stock and just save again for a trigger is there anyone who had one before.