PDA

View Full Version : anybody here used the whidden v-block bedding block

m12lrs
03-31-2016, 02:59 PM
looks like there is a whole lot of hogging out for this thing to fit but once installed if you are going to be taking the action out and changing barrels and such it looks like it would hold up well.

Looking for someone with experience.

FW Conch
03-31-2016, 04:53 PM
Yes, it will hold up, but so will a stock with well installed pillars. A main purpose for a V Block is so different actions can be installed in the same stock, where as, with glass bedding, it molds to the action it was fitted for. Yes, it takes some work to install, but by carefully following the directions and watching the film, it is very manageable. It does add considerable weight, if a weight class has to be met, but a Boyd's stock with one installed is still not as heavy as a B&C or a Choate with the full skeleton. It all depends on how much work you want to put into something like this. I think a well done pillar and glass bed is just as accurate and durable. And with a B&C stock, it's all right there out of the box.

Good Luck...Jim :-)

Nor Cal Mikie
03-31-2016, 05:10 PM
Over time, bedding and pillars can change from when it was first done, considering if the action is removed, more than a few times. Whidden V Block? I've done a few. Every one of my actions (I think + 5 so far) is mounted on Whidden V Blocks. Yes there's a little work involved but the work invested is well worth the finished product. Metal to metal mounting so the action goes back to the same spot every time.
All you need is enough room around the V Block to get the bedding in. I do mine in two stages. With the barrel still mounted to the action, I set the height and make sure the barrel is centered and has proper clearance and the tang is floated. After the bedding has set up for a day or two, I go back and fill in any voids I think need filling. The amount of work you put into it shows on the finished product.

Robinhood
04-01-2016, 06:15 AM
Mikie, I would be glad to view any pictures you may have of the finished product or the process. TIA.

Maztech89
04-01-2016, 09:04 PM
Mikie, I would be glad to view any pictures you may have of the finished product or the process. TIA.

That makes 2 of us.