PDA

View Full Version : Trigger guard screw spacing

Gary8907
03-31-2016, 09:43 AM
I tend to get a headache every time I try to figure out all the different variations of Savage model numbers, but I've come up with yet another variation in Savage descriptions. I'm doing the research on a Savage bolt gun that I want to build, and all of my planning is on paper so far. I've been looking at stock manufacturers, trigger manufacturers etc and I've come to realize that some refer to the trigger guard spacing on a short action receiver as 4.400", and some say 4.410". Are there actually two different short action receivers that have only a .010" difference in screw spacing ?

sharpshooter
03-31-2016, 03:37 PM
No, it's 4.400......some people don't know how to measure correctly.

Gary8907
03-31-2016, 10:22 PM
No, it's 4.400......some people don't know how to measure correctly.

Thanks. That's one more thing I can check off on my "worry list"

lrshooting
04-01-2016, 12:17 AM
Now just wait a bit. Do you have the action already? There is several different lengths, but that depends on your action style as far as center feed or stagger feed. If you have an older stagger feed rifle, the length is shorter or longer.

Take a look here for more detail http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?128-Savage-Action-Lengths

I don't want to confuse you but I didn't see you state what year savage you had so I didn't want you buying the wrong parts

sharpshooter
04-01-2016, 01:24 AM
Don't get yer panties in wad......his question was, "Are there actually two different short action receivers that have only a .010" difference in screw spacing ?"
The answer is NO.

Gary8907
04-01-2016, 08:50 AM
Don't get yer panties in wad......his question was, "Are there actually two different short action receivers that have only a .010" difference in screw spacing ?"
The answer is NO.

"sharpshooter" thanks a bunch for your reply. I always get nervous asking questions on forums.

"lrshooting" I appreciate your reply, and I've bookmarked the link that you posted.

Now I have to get my butt in gear, and buy all the rest of the parts for this project, as I already have the barrels. I'm actually doing two Savage bolt gun builds simultaneously. One will use an ARP 20" 6.8SPC barrel, and the other will use an MDWS 20" .277 Wolverine barrel (5.56 brass trimmed to 1.535" and necked up to accept a .277 bullet). Lots of work to do, but I'm looking forward to it. Next project will be trying to find the best handloads for these two. Wish me luck.