PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: 93r17 TR vs FV w/Boyd's stock

mattmjm
03-29-2016, 11:37 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum and would love some advice. I am not new to shooting etc..but new to the .17 caliber. I am planning on buying a 93r17 platform but am trying to figure out if the TR is worth the extra $ instead of getting the cheaper FV and changing out the stock with a Boyd's. Will the accuracy etc. be similar or will there be a noticeable difference? Would I basically be paying extra money for the fluted barrel? BTW, is the TR stock a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock? Thanks for your input.

penna shooter
03-31-2016, 06:50 AM
Welcome from Gettysburg, Pa.

Lorenzo
04-06-2016, 06:29 PM
So I have a 93r17 TR and a MKII FVSR in a boyds pro varmint. The difference in stocks is that the top of the TRs cheek piece goes in a straight line, the boyds dips down towards the butt pad. Pretty much a cosmetic thing.
Going with the .17 HMR I like the TR for the 21" barrel to get what little extra velocity I can. Now my MkII shoots really really great, I think it having a 16.5" barrel makes the barrel a little stiffer and have less harmonics, its also a .22 so thats a little different.
I don't think you can loose either way, (mine are both fluted by the way) depends on if you want to surpress and carry around the .17 then Id go with the shorter, if you want to get the most distance out of it go with the TR. I personally really like the TR mine cost me 420$, my FVSR was 220$ and the boyds with the bottom metal you will need from DIP was 120$ so really not to much of a price difference. Youll be super happy either way.

Lorenzo
04-10-2016, 02:05 PM
Sorry I missed that you said FV not FVSR, that too would be a sweet setup in boyds.

mattmjm
04-12-2016, 12:43 PM
OK, thanks for your input. I believe I will go with the cheaper GV and switch out the stock some other time when the need arises.

Logictox
04-12-2016, 10:58 PM
The Boyds stock makes all the difference. I have one on my FV-SR 22lr and my TRR-SR and recently added the boyds to my model 10. Yet to find a better made stock.

Lorenzo
04-14-2016, 12:39 AM
The Boyds stock makes all the difference. I have one on my FV-SR 22lr and my TRR-SR and recently added the boyds to my model 10. Yet to find a better made stock.
DIdnt like the TRRSR stock?

mattmjm
04-18-2016, 10:54 PM
Well I got the GV a few days ago n quickly sited it in. To say I'm impressed with its accuracy is an understatement! I only had time for about 20 rounds but I got a 7\16 and a 9\16 CTC 3 shot groups within those 20 rounds! This was with a short bipod and homemade sandbag under the butt end. A few hrs later I dropped multiple blackbirds that I ranged anywhere from 80 to 120 yards. I did hit 2 different ghogs, 1@ 210 yards n the other @110 yards n both unfortunately made it back to their holes 😢 This made me very aware that shot placement is very important. I'm used to blasting them with my .223 where any good hit drops them. This will just add more fun to the hunt with this .17hmr. I can't wait to do more shooting--paper and warm targets.

Logictox
04-19-2016, 07:15 AM
DIdnt like the TRRSR stock?

The TRR-SR comes with a Boyds stock IMHO. If not made by Boyd someone copied it. :)