PDA

View Full Version : Bottom metal function

Randyc
03-29-2016, 12:10 PM
I have the post in WTB, bottom metal.
what is the function of the bottom metal?
Purely cosmetic or does it help rigidity?
i can make due filling the area if it will not adversely affect the operation or accuracy.
Anyone suggestions are greatly appreciated.

jfksc
03-29-2016, 03:38 PM
I assume you're asking how does it compare to the plastic stuff? Even the plastic bottom metal has metal sleeves that run through it where the action screws go, so you're not compressing plastic. Those sleeves mate up with the stock pillars and give a pretty solid bolt up. I ran both on the same stock and action and can honestly say there was no improvement in accuracy when I went to the metal. That said, the metal just feels and looks so much better. If there is any improvement in rigidity it's minor. The magazine catch on the metal version is better too in my opinion.

Randyc
03-29-2016, 04:37 PM
Thank you , that helps me very much, since I am building a single shot I only need to fill the void in the bottom of the stock. I have bolts of the correct length to torque the action in without bottom metal. ( bolt through the accustock bed blocks ) I really just need something to fill the hole. I may just cut and polish out a piece of stainless. Any other ideas will be appreciated.