PDA

View Full Version : Savage across the course?

gunnut5.56
03-28-2016, 03:23 PM
Hello
I shoot in the service rifle category across the course and couldn't help but notice some advantages the match category has with bolt action rifles, has anyone ever put together an across the course rifle with a savage action? or is these just not feasible and better off with other manufactures actions

thanks.

darkker
03-30-2016, 12:59 AM
Feasible? Certainly.
Chingos of aftermarket parts, not really. The precision machining of what most of the tube gun shooters want, not even close.

jonesturf
04-03-2016, 09:45 AM
I don't see why not. I ran mine for 3 years in PRS. With a good barrel it's ready to rock. I've had no problems with it. Of course there are better, smoother actions out there but savage is still plenty accurate. My last 3 barrels held 1/2 moa or better consistently to 800y as long as I made good wind calls. The majority of long range shooting is more dependant on the shooter. Money is better spent on ammo a lot of times in my opinion.

All an action does is load a round. Unless you're shooting world record bench rest it doesn't matter much. I beat lots of guys with defiance, surgeon, Remington, bat, etc all the time. Money doesn't buy you experience.

darkker
04-10-2016, 02:54 AM
Money doesn't buy you experience.

+1!!

gunnut5.56
04-20-2016, 02:56 PM
Thank you for the replies gentlemen,
I agree equipment is much less important when compared to the skill set of the user. Quite honestly I’m very curious to try that avenue of equipment. The AR is pretty hard to beat in this category, for price availability, and performance. Plus who doesn’t want to buy and build more guns?
Ordered a new M10 FLCP-SR yesterday and have decided to go forth with this match rifle build. Even though it will not be traditional in form for an XTC rifle it sure will be fun to build this rifle over time and see how it’s development progresses.

gunnut5.56
06-14-2016, 01:50 PM
Update.
Got the savage running and very interesting results, as far as accuracy I have been very pleased with the rifle, first practice match it ran scored a 469 6x/500 on a 200 yard reduced course. Found it did not like hornady 150 fmj bthp. the groups shift around quite a bit. Next test run was a 600 yard prone match and it all started off stellar, 191/200 for the first string with Nosler 155 custom comp with xbr 8208. sights got loose and didn't didn't catch it till the bill of my hat moved the rear sight. This is all using a RPA center mount rear sight and a standard ladder from sight with a gehmann Iris. the bolt has smoothed out just fine and is very comparable to a broken in m700, the largest problem I have had has been the magazine on the rifle. it has been pure garbage.multiple failures from lack of spring tension and not feeding rounds and irregular stacking and not allowing to get the full amount as advertised, then not wanting to load.the only possible remedy I've seen out there has been that adapter plate to accept acis magazines.

hope my findings come to use of other folks that plan to build a XTC rifle

Anschutz
06-15-2016, 05:29 PM
Very nice to hear. I wouldn't mind building a xtc savage but I'm focusing on service rifle until I get President's 100.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

boltman13
08-08-2016, 08:44 PM
The advantage the match rifle shooters have is mainly due to better ballistics, and a longer sight radius for greater precision. As you have probably found out by now the rapid fire stages are where you are at a disadvantage if the bolt doesn't run with minimal effort. Keeping your position, and sight picture on the target suffer otherwise. Magazine issues only add to the frustration and uncertainity. I have had the privilege of cycling Mid Thompkins Winchester Model 70 years ago and it was almost effortless, as is the effort required on a T2K. Hopefully your Savage is getting that smooth and your mag issues are behind you.
Hello
I shoot in the service rifle category across the course and couldn't help but notice some advantages the match category has with bolt action rifles, has anyone ever put together an across the course rifle with a savage action? or is these just not feasible and better off with other manufactures actions

thanks.

gunnut5.56
09-15-2016, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the post Boltman13,
The rifle certainly has been smoothing out. After repeated bolt manipulations the bolt assembly has become remarkably clean compared to when the rifle first came out of the box. For reference it is arguably as smooth if not better than a similarly worn m700 action that I've had for the last 12 years. The magazine fault has been discovered and turned out to be an operator error. The factory mags do not have a very fool proof way of locking into position, if you watch closely at the rear folded tab of metal on the magazine you can see it miss the ledge in the well that it is intended to sit upon. when inserting the magazine it rocks in and has a audible click locking into position and the magazine will be a fraction of an inch lower allowing the bolt to slide across the top of the round. I've found by taking the extra second and bringing the rear of the mag in position first eliminated the feeding problems.
Otherwise the rifle has been turning out to be quite the smooth and accurate bolt action that I've been looking for.

marty dabney
09-30-2016, 06:11 AM
what stock are you using? I've contemplated building an XTC rifle using a savage and am looking at a PDC custom chassis. Craig said he could mill an Anschutz rail for a hand stop. I also think I could make the XLR chassis work.