PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12 Single-shot .308 Benchrest Dual port, Opinions Please

ultramag44
07-08-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm looking to purchase one of these. Your opinions please.

It claims to have a acu-trigger adjustable to 6 oz. How is this trigger?

What, if any issues does anyone have with this gun?

What is the best bullet weight w/ the 1-12 twist?

Will it take Weaver # 46 bases?

My first post! Thanks in advance

82boy
07-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Welcome to the site.
I did a review on that gun in 6mmBR about a year ago, it is accessible to paid members of this site.

It claims to have a acu-trigger adjustable to 6 oz. How is this trigger?

Absolutely horrible!!! I have never seen one that will go down to 6 oz and operate properly. The blade in the accu trigger is heavier than the trigger, so when you pull it back all you feel is the blade, and it will surprise you when the trigger will go off. Changing out the clunky BT style bolt handle to a lighter tactical bolt handle greatly helps the trigger at lower setting, but it dosen't solve the problem. I found that if you set the trigger under 1 lbs that you will fight it every time the bolt closes you will have to re-cock the gun, and may be able to get the trigger to work once out of every three times of cocking it.

The barrel is too long at 30 inches, I would cut it down to 26 inches. The gun is unbalanced do to the weight of the barrel, and extra attention is needed when shooting the gun to make sure it is not floating in the rear bag. The problem could be reminded by drilling a couple of holes in the back and filling them with lead, or by cutting down the barrel.

Will it take Weaver # 46 bases?

Yes.

That about covers all the bad issue of the gun except one the price. At over $1000.00 you can build a much better custom gun to your liking with far superior parts, for about the same cost. For example you could have a dual port target action for under $500.00 a top notch aftermarket barrel in your choice of twist rate, and caliber for under $300, and a far superior bedded stock for in your choice of color for around $300.00, looking at $1100 total.

Another issue with the 12 benchrest is it is not bedded, so you would need to bed the action. IMO you would be leaps and bounds ahead building a custom gun over the 12 benchrest. Eather way you would go I would highly recamend changing the target accu-trigger to an quality aftermarkt trigger.

joseph
07-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I agree with everything 82boy says except that I love the accu-trigger in my target duel port action. I do not know what poundage it is, but on another rifle I have a Canjar 2 ounce set trigger which I love and with both guns I can hold the cross hair inside a 22 caliber hole at 100 yards. I love both triggers. I have only had to re-cock the bolt a couple of times during almost shooting it 1000 times and I definitely can feel the trigger after depressing the center "blade". :)

joseph

xr650rRider
07-13-2010, 10:09 AM
If the barrel was 30" on the benchrest and 1" diameter and you cut it off to 26", you would lose about 0.8 lbs of weight and the center of gravity moves back a little. I believe the barrel on the benchrest is actually 29" and you would lose less weight than this by cutting it down. I personally don't have a problem with it tracking in the bags and I'm sure part of that is how you like to setup in the bags. If it feels nose heavy to you, you would be better served adding weight to the rear and a couple of cubic inches of lead in the rear is easier than hacksawing the barrel and re-crowning.

I also have little trouble with the accutrigger and can usually set them around 10 oz. (hard to measure with RCBS spring scale) and not have problems if your somewhat easy on the bolt handle.

jeffjmr
07-13-2010, 05:53 PM
I am new to Savages with a recently acquired 12 Palma; similar to the model you are considering, except the Palma has 30" Palma tapered barrel, same action, Palma 95 chamber (a bit shorter than the standard .308) and the adjustable stock. I can't speak for the BR model, but mine is pillar bedded.

At the risk of being flamed, I must admit I like the Accu-trigger. I have mine set to about 1.5 pounds. Any less and I feel a loss of control of the process. Perhaps years of firing high-power with my M1A and 4.5 pounds+ trigger has ruined me for life.

I have never shot BR, but intend to, so take my comments in that context; I want the long barrel, front heavy as it and all heavy, long barrels are, because I believe it will perform better at the 1000 yard range than shorter barrels. If you don't intend to shoot at those distances, perhaps building a gun would be a better option.

Most importantly, the gun shoots surprisingly straight given it is not yet broken in, I have a cheap scope on it at the moment, and have not even begun load development.

Good luck with your decision.
Jeff

King Ghidora
07-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Absolutely horrible!!! I have never seen one that will go down to 6 oz and operate properly.

Wow I love the target AT on my LRPV. I set it as low as it will go and I've never had to reset the trigger for any reason. I am careful about closing the bolt too hard but it's never been a problem for me.

I do have a 26" barrel and I had thought I might have liked the 30" barrels more but from what you say it sounds like I'm better off with a 26".

My gun is in .223 and it shoots like a dream. There's nothing I don't like about this gun. I have the left port which I find to be very convenient. I can see to feed the rifle much easier and I can eject cases right in my left hand so I don't have to chase them all over. I don't think I would like a dual port as well. Mine is a single shot BTW. It's a couple of years old so it doesn't have the fluted barrel.

I've been shooting this rifle at 400 yards and I've been hitting a 5 inch target consistently. That may not be great shooting for some but I'm still working on finding the right ammo for this gun. I've only shot it about 5 times at that distance and I get progressively better every time. I'm actually pretty new to shooting this distance although I've shot 300 yards pretty often with my 110 in .30-06 and other rifles I own.

Of course my rifle is a varmint rifle but I don't think I will have a problem shooting BR if I choose to do so. This rifle is the best rifle I've ever owned. I bought it used so I got a break on the price obviously. I couldn't be happier with it and I especially love the trigger. IMO it's the best stock trigger I've ever seen on a rifle.

boy412
07-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Wow I love the target AT on my LRPV. I set it as low as it will go and I've never had to reset the trigger for any reason. I am careful about closing the bolt too hard but it's never been a problem for me.

I do have a 26" barrel and I had thought I might have liked the 30" barrels more but from what you say it sounds like I'm better off with a 26".

My gun is in .223 and it shoots like a dream. There's nothing I don't like about this gun. I have the left port which I find to be very convenient. I can see to feed the rifle much easier and I can eject cases right in my left hand so I don't have to chase them all over. I don't think I would like a dual port as well. Mine is a single shot BTW. It's a couple of years old so it doesn't have the fluted barrel.

I've been shooting this rifle at 400 yards and I've been hitting a 5 inch target consistently. That may not be great shooting for some but I'm still working on finding the right ammo for this gun. I've only shot it about 5 times at that distance and I get progressively better every time. I'm actually pretty new to shooting this distance although I've shot 300 yards pretty often with my 110 in .30-06 and other rifles I own.

Of course my rifle is a varmint rifle but I don't think I will have a problem shooting BR if I choose to do so. This rifle is the best rifle I've ever owned. I bought it used so I got a break on the price obviously. I couldn't be happier with it and I especially love the trigger. IMO it's the best stock trigger I've ever seen on a rifle.

I have that same gun! Its the first rifle I've ever owned but I absolutely love it. I had some trouble with the target AT initially (wouldn't fire!) but once I learned what I was doing wrong I got past that hurdle. Mine must have been new old stock, because my barrel is not fluted either (which I was very happy about actually). I'm looking forward to taking it out to longer ranges and working on load development. Right now I'm working on some loads with 75gr A-Max bullets and some 69 gr SMK's as well.

I want another one in a different caliber...

Balljoint
07-15-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm happy with my 12F/TR even with a 30 inch barrel even with the AT set were it came from the factory, it shoots much better than me

King Ghidora
07-15-2010, 01:42 PM
I actually came very close to getting a 12 F/TR also Balljoint. I was looking for one when I found the LRPV. But I've been very happy with this rifle. Mine had hardly been fired at all and I got a pretty serious discount with it being used. So I couldn't pass it up. The shop where I bought it gives me a decent warranty including an accuracy warranty. I think he was a little nervous about that until I came back in and told him I was shooting decent groups at 400 yards with it.

I know what you mean about wanting a different caliber boy412. I've thought about switching mine over to a .308 but it works so well the way it is I would hate to mess up a good thing. So I'll wait until I can just buy another one probably. I know they aren't the best rifle for hunting but I have a 110 for that. It shoots very well too. Let me know how yours shoots when you get to shoot it at longer distances. I've been shooting about a 5" pattern at 400 yards when the wind is calm. I know that's not great but I'm pretty new to long distance shooting. I've shot my 110 out to about 300 yards a few times but 400 is new territory for me.

ultramag44
07-17-2010, 10:48 PM
My Savage 12 dual port .308 benchrest arrived yesterday! Looks great :)

I put 'silver' Weaver (true Weaver) 46 bases, Burris Signature Zee rings, and a Weaver 36X scope on it. BUT, no range time untill next week @ least, and maybe not untill the following week! *sigh*

The AT feels wonderful! I am used to good triggers. I have a Kenyon trigger on a Winchester 52 D. I have an 52 E and 2 C's, all w/ Micro-Motion triggers, and a Hammerli w/ Double-Lever triggers.

Now I need to find time to load ammo, and get to the range.

Thanks guys, ultramag44

King Ghidora
07-18-2010, 01:17 AM
I have a Weaver 36X on my MkII and I'm looking to get another one for my LRPV. I also have the Zee rings. I'd like to hear how the 36X works on your 12 if you don't mind. I know a scope like that is always good for something but I don't want to spend that much and find out I should have got something else. I've been threatening to take the Weaver off my MkII and try it on my 12 but I haven't done it yet. I hate having to remount the scope and zero it again. It's not bad with a scope with less power but with a 36X you have to be close before you can see where you're hitting. And I've been using my 36X as a spotting scope for my 12. I just leave it mounted on the MkII and let my wife spot for me.

ultramag44
08-03-2010, 10:23 PM
I have a Weaver 36X on my MkII and I'm looking to get another one for my LRPV. I also have the Zee rings. I'd like to hear how the 36X works on your 12 if you don't mind. I know a scope like that is always good for something but I don't want to spend that much and find out I should have got something else. I've been threatening to take the Weaver off my MkII and try it on my 12 but I haven't done it yet. I hate having to remount the scope and zero it again. It's not bad with a scope with less power but with a 36X you have to be close before you can see where you're hitting. And I've been using my 36X as a spotting scope for my 12. I just leave it mounted on the MkII and let my wife spot for me.

I hope, I say hope to get to the range this weekend. Lots of 'Honey-Do's' lately ;)I have some ammo loaded. Of course I'll be doing the 'one-shot & clean' routine for a bit. Then 3-shot & clean for several groups, then 5, etc. I believe in proper break-in, and that cannot be rushed.

Mah rest & rear bag are ready (Himmerli .308 Winchester 300 meter free rifle) atop mah SEB rest & SEB rear bag!

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/100_0889.jpg

Yes, you do need to be close to a 36X, but I'm used to that, and used to good triggers. I'll let you know how the 36X works out.

King Ghidora
08-04-2010, 10:14 PM
That isn't your Weaver 36X on that rifle is it? It looks like a Redfield scope.

ultramag44
08-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Hi King,

Right you are! That's a Redfield 3200 24X. The pic is just to show mah rest and bag. I'll get a pic of the Savage & Weaver 36X (hopefully) this weekend.

Untill then, will this do?
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Savage%20Bench%2012/SavageinBox.jpg

King Ghidora
08-06-2010, 03:55 AM
Nothing like a little eye candy to get me through the day. :)

ultramag44
08-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Nothing like a little eye candy to get me through the day. :)

Yes! A firearm that's properly cared for only gets better looking with age! ;)

If (hope, hope) ah can get to the range this weekend.

The Sinclair boreguide is all set up w/ solvent port, plenty of patches & Shooters Choice; also Barnes Copper Solvent. 8)

The first session will be anti-clamatic. One-shot-clean routine, seeing what (if any) changes need to be made to the inserts of the Burris Signature Zee rings. Mah goal for the first session is proper barrel break-in and scope / inserts.