PDA

View Full Version : New Savage LRP 6.5 Creedmoor - factory ammo selection

Pages : 1 [2]

Ryfulman
05-17-2016, 06:49 AM
The problem with the 140 ELD-M if shooting commercial ammo is OAL. My max OAL for my 10T 6.5cm is 2.860. I measured the 140, 2.820. Its not close enough to the lands, which match rounds need to be. If those were reloads, would like to know how close he set them to the lands. A-max doesn't need to be close to the lands. I tried reloading 308 with A-max close to the lands to see if they would tighten up as I got closer. Got worst the closer I got. Leave them at 2.800 now and shoot great. The A-max will be replaced by the ELD from what hornady told me. All there tips will use the new ones. Notice even the match rounds now use the new tips vs a hollow tip? BC's are even better with tip on.

The new eld projectiles are what's called a hybrid so they have that sexy BC however because the ogive isn't as flat they aren't as sensitive to seating depth and are supposed to be able to handle a 20 thou jump.
The only projectiles I ever used from hornady that were sensitive to seating depth were the 105 grain 243 match. With those ones I had to kiss the lands,luckily the mag on my tc dimension easily accommodate the longer oal.
So I'll admit I'm surprised you had a problem. They were specifically designed and engineered to be less sensitive to seating depth.
As far as the tips go apparently the new ones are melt proof so they are using them on almost everything.
If you haven't already and use a lot of hornady projectiles I recommend getting onto hornady's mailing list and join their little club. It's free to join.
They mail you some reading material which includes what makes each different projectile line special vs the others.
For example they explain at what speed each line was designed to expand properly at. So basically you can fine tune the projectile for the distance you'll be hunting at so when it impacts you'll achieve full expansion and no thru and thru which as we all know can ruin a day easily.
Or if shorter range with a fast cartridge you'll pick the line that made to expand at that particular velocity.
If just punching paper I doubt it makes a difference however when hunting knowing the bullets particular performance characteristics is an important tidbit of info.
With hornady there ain't a one size fits all,which when you think about it is a good idea.
Animals with tougher thicker hides need one that will expand later so you get adequate penetration etc.
Joining their club is free and I think once you do if you ever order from them you get some kind of discount or extra bullets or something.

Ryfulman
05-17-2016, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the COAL data point, bearcatrp: just got around to measuring COAL on my new Model 12 LRP 6.5 Creedmoor using Sierra Match King 142 today at 2.851 - very similar to your results. This bullet is not supposed to be too sensitive to seating depth so I plan to load IMR 4451 at 2.820 cartridge overall length to start. Will post results in a few weeks if it ever stops raining in Texas.
Are you measuring right to the tip,or to the ogive? The ogive is where you want to measure from. Not every bullet is identical so the most important variable for consistent point of impact when it comes to seating the projectile is at what point the ogive engages the lands. So if you're measuring to the tip but it's not consistent with the test loads your point of impact won't be consistent so when possible always measure to the ogive since that's what will engage the rifling.
Just a thought.

Ranger3
05-23-2016, 12:22 PM
My Savage 12 LRP shoots the Hornady Match 140 ELD M in tiny groups. So oak doesn't matter.

Kingair001
05-23-2016, 12:28 PM
I shot my Savage 12 LRP Creedmoor 6.5 using 140 ELD-M and 120 grain A-Max a few days ago

The grouping at 600 yards - it was really windy - was a lot better with the 120 grain A-Max !

And I tried it 2 x with each round

I was really surprised to be honest

I thought that the 140 grain would do better since they have a higher BC

Or is it the 200+ higher velocity speed of the A-Max makes the difference . . . has to be . . .

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk