PDA

View Full Version : Rust in chamber of new 12FV from Cabelas

Carson5
03-27-2016, 01:31 PM
Just purchased new in box still in plastic wrap 12FV from Cabelas this past week....looked good in store, (had small magnalite flashlight to take look into chamber). But upon further examination at home found chamber had quite a bit of oxidation. I am awaiting chamber brush delivery to remove the rust deposit. Is this normal to receive a Savage rifle that may have been on the shelf for quite some time to have some rust in chamber? Also there were no screws in scope mount holes. Gun was shipped to local Cabelas here in PA from another store out west. I have scope on order but won't be delivered for several weeks.

Hotolds442
03-27-2016, 01:37 PM
If you're sure it's rust, no - it's not normal. But I've seen new ones with bluing salt deposits and blasting media in them. If not protected properly, the chamber and rifling can form condensation during the bluing process but it usually dissipates during the process.

Texas10
03-27-2016, 11:13 PM
I had the same problem with a 12FV I bought from Cabelas. Rust in the chamber and it put deep gouges in the brass as it was extracted. Sent it back and they polished the chamber. Came back better, but not good. Sent it in again for firing pin undersized and blanking primers even at moderate loads. They polished the chamber again, but nothing else and sent it back. So I bought a new firing pin and that fixed the blanking problem. Now it shoots like it should. Still, can't beat if for the price, and I'd rate the customer service as good to excellent despite the quality issues.

Carson5
03-29-2016, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the up Texas10..... Contacted Savage and was told to pack it up and send in to have chamber cleaned and polished. Hope that's all. That needs to be done. Have a scope on order and won't be delivered til May , so delay not so bad.

Carson5
04-13-2016, 09:41 PM
Sent rifle back to Savage on Friday 4/1, rifle delivered back to me on Monday 4/11. 10 days! Chamber appears clear of rust and polished. Now I' m waiting on scope and warmer weather.

yotehater
04-26-2016, 08:49 PM
That was sure a good turn a round time. I hope it's a great shooter for you.

RustyShackle
04-26-2016, 09:17 PM
Yeah that was quick! I sent a rifle to Savage in December for repair. I still haven't received anything back!