PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Mk II F Bolt Problem

Haelon
07-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I took the bolt for my Savage Mk2 F into the shop because I was sure I had a cracked firing pin. Today I went back because they hadn't called -- something they said they would do in a few days just to make sure I knew what was going on. They gave me the bolt and suggested I rotate one piece of the bolt to adjust the headspace and see if this might solve my problems, if not I should bring it back in with the rifle and they'll send it off.

Something is very amiss! This is my first rifle, and I'm sure I'm just missing something silly but... help :)!

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=9rim92&s=3

soless
07-09-2010, 12:45 AM
I've seen that before. It's a rough part of the receiver. Just like where the bolt handle cams. It shouldn't be like that. Just out of cueiosity, how do you adjust headspace?

Haelon
07-09-2010, 01:15 AM
I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be like that, I can't put the bolt in. Any idea on how I can rectify the situation?

Apparently you adjust headspace by rotating the two "pieces" of the bolt. The back half of mine is black and the forward half unpainted, and they rotate about the central axis.

Haelon
07-09-2010, 02:27 PM
I have a better question: how do I manually cock it? The little pin that's stopping the bolt from sliding back into the rifle is in the de-cocked position, but I don't know how to manually re-cock it.

mtncwru
07-09-2010, 02:48 PM
To re-cock the striker, grab the striker end piece, pull back a little, and rotate clockwise (or rotate the bolt handle counterclockwise) until the striker is in the cocked position. While you can grab the striker with your hands, I would recommend grabbing grabbing it with a rag, since if it snaps back into position with your hand in the way it will hurt.

As for the headspace adjustment, I tried that with my bolt, and the only thing you get is a bolt that has to be rotated back to position to be inserted into the receiver; no change in headspace. What makes you think you have a cracked firing pin?

Haelon
07-09-2010, 02:55 PM
The striker end piece being that pin I circled? I've used a screw driver across it and pulled back quite hard but nothing moved. I'll pull harder if that's what I'm supposed to do.

My buddy dry fired and I noticed a hairline on the firing pin, and smaller indents on the rim and lots of duds make me think I have a cracked firing pin.

mtncwru
07-09-2010, 03:40 PM
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1907316&postcount=6

The striker is the large piece at the bottom right of the picture in the above link. The spot you want to grab is the end, not the pin that's in the side. You'll probably want the bolt out of the rifle to do this, since it helps to have a good grip on the bolt handle with one hand while grabbing the end of the striker with the other. No matter what, do this (and all work on any gun) with the gun unloaded.

With regard to the firing pin, give Savage a call. It might not be covered under warranty (since the manual definitely says don't dry fire), but replacing it is very easy. They might have some other suggestions on the cause of the problem, too.