PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: stock fitting on a 99?

AbitNutz
03-26-2016, 06:37 PM
So I've always wanted a Savage 99 . I found a 99EG but it's been cut down and fitted with a rubber recoil pad. They did an OK job but I'd really rather have it in more or less original condition with a steel butt plate. That means finding a stock. Numrich has them listed and there are a few on eBay.

The question is...would a used stock need to be fitted? They look like they are really complex shapes. If the new stock needed to be altered, I seriously doubt I would be able to handle more than a minor amount.

Has anyone had to replace their stock?

Mad Dog
03-27-2016, 08:35 AM
There shouldn't be much fitting involved if you can find an original factory buttstock but a replacement stock from Numrichs will take more than your willing to do.

If it were me I'd wait till one came in original condition.

Hotolds442
03-27-2016, 12:32 PM
There was a member here that made stocks for the 99, you might search a little and see if you can find him. His quality was top notch.

Found it. Send a pm to user Lee Davis here and see what you can find out.

AbitNutz
03-27-2016, 04:33 PM
I just did a stock swap on a Remington model 81 auto. The original had the same thing done to it. A previous owner cut down the stock and put a recoil pad on it. It looked kike hell. I found a original stock on eBay and just put it on. It for perfectly. No problem at all.

I think you're right. Wait for an original stock, not an after market. The issue with the 99 is they made it foe a zillion years so things may have changed from one decade to another. If I find a stock from the 1950's I have no idea if it will fit a rifle from the 1970's or 1930's.

Mad Dog
03-27-2016, 04:53 PM
All the tangs were the same size from serial number 90,000 up to the end of the 99 production.

norm9910
04-01-2016, 01:33 PM
So I've always wanted a Savage 99 . I found a 99EG but it's been cut down and fitted with a rubber recoil pad. They did an OK job but I'd really rather have it in more or less original condition with a steel butt plate. That means finding a stock. Numrich has them listed and there are a few on eBay.

The question is...would a used stock need to be fitted? They look like they are really complex shapes. If the new stock needed to be altered, I seriously doubt I would be able to handle more than a minor amount.

I can get you a new stock that would need no fitting , my stock maker has receivers from me to fit any 1899s or 99s , and does great checkering if you want that and i have original butt plates available.

norm 99

J.Baker
04-05-2016, 08:25 PM
But is your stock maker north of the border? Not legal to ship a stock across the border without going through the import/export hassle.

Mad Dog
04-06-2016, 08:16 AM
I think we can ship to the U.S. Jim, it's coming from the other side to here that gets pretty sticky, thanks to Obama.

I've never had anything stopped anyways.