PDA

View Full Version : Savage Build?

Bench
03-26-2016, 03:28 PM
Hello fellas,
This is my first post and have a question about custom builds.
I have several custom builds on remington actions and custom actions but have heard alot about the savage rifles so tell me why I should consider a savage build.
I dont know a thing about savage actions as I have never owned one but would like to learn some of the plus factors of using a savage action.
If I go with a savage my first build would be a varmint/prairie dog rifle and would only be shot from a bench so weight would not be a factor as I like a heavy gun to help stay on target.
Thanks for any help.
Bench

Jamie
03-26-2016, 04:52 PM
The short, simple answer is that you can do it allyourself. Saving a bunch of money and time with a smith. Then when you want different you can just pull the barrel and make it so. The action is as good as any other, trigger options are not as good as a Rem but you can get good ones, just not 1.5 oz Jewell.

Maztech89
03-27-2016, 12:34 AM
The big thing for me is that I can do it myself and not have to wait on anybody. I'm extremely impatient with building guns and motorcycles, I like going full bore into everything. I'm also pretty limited on smiths in my area as far as target/benchrest stuff. The one that does it has a back log longer than my attention span for any project. And they're **** accurate, especially for price!

Downsides are the heavier bolt lift, no Jewell triggers, and not a lot of suppliers of true BR styled straight line stocks like the rem 700 and clones.

Bench
03-27-2016, 08:03 AM
Thanks Guys,
I will continue to do my research and hopefully will try a savage action build,
I think a 204 Ruger is what I would like to build for PDs

savgebolt
03-27-2016, 09:18 AM
Bench,,,,,, youll love the 204,,,,,,, do your research, get twist rate around 1 to 8 ,,, or 9