PDA

View Full Version : 450 Bushmaster Deerslayer Complete!

Warrick
03-26-2016, 11:55 AM
I started this build in late November with intention of turning my savage 110 in 30/06 in to a deer legal 450 bushmaster to hunt with in Indiana. How ironic is it that just a week ago the powers that be passed a bill to allow me to hunt with a 30/06 in Indiana, when we where told that it would not be brought back in the foreseeable future. Oh well I am still very happy that I took this project on because the great deal of knowledge I learned through out the process. I am pretty sure I am full blown plum crazy addicted to messing with savage rifles now! I cant wait to start my next build, and get into reloading as soon as possible. I have been shooting and hunting since I was 9 years old and I learned more this last few months about the in and outs of my equipment then I have all the prior years combined. Thanks for all the advise that I received and all past post that have offered great advise to other posters. Here are a few pics of my new rifle, its not perfect but I learned along the way on how to make the next one better. Yes I did mare my paint already, yes I said a few curse words after it happen.

Rifle Specs:

Savage 110 flat back
Apache Gun Works 20 in 1-16 twist 450 bushmaster barrel
Savage wood stock, Pillar and Glass bed with 308 magazine epoxyed in stock
EGW Rail , Primary Arms Tactical Medium Mounts, Primary Arms 4x14x44 FFP Mil Mil Scope

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w436/warrick155/savage%20450%20bushmaster%20017_zps7ganajji.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w436/warrick155/savage%20450%20bushmaster%20016_zpsllftrkj6.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w436/warrick155/savage%20450%20bushmaster%20013_zpsayhdrasp.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w436/warrick155/savage%20450%20bushmaster%20017_zps7ganajji.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w436/warrick155/savage%20450%20bushmaster%20006_zpshzakhnhf.jpg

futurerider103
03-26-2016, 12:08 PM
None of the pictures work

Warrick
03-26-2016, 12:15 PM
fixed sorry!

futurerider103
03-26-2016, 12:20 PM
How does it cycle?

Warrick
03-26-2016, 12:23 PM
How does it cycle?

very good.

futurerider103
03-26-2016, 12:25 PM
Why did you epoxy the .308 mag in instead of just getting a proper .308 box to the action?

Warrick
03-26-2016, 12:29 PM
Why did you epoxy the .308 mag in instead of just getting a proper .308 box to the action?

Well as far as I know there is no center feed 308 magazine that will attach to a 110 stagger feed hidden magazine action. If there is please let me know for future reference.

In hindsight it would have been best to start with a newer SA rifle, but I had this rifle for a long time sitting around. This caliber feeds best in SA rifles because of the magazine design not the action design so I just transposed that design into my stock. This was a factory stock so I wasn't real worried about messing up.

Ranch Dog
03-26-2016, 08:48 PM
Looks great!

futurerider103
03-26-2016, 08:55 PM
Funtional is Funtional I was just wondering why you went this way

needagun
03-29-2016, 07:37 AM
450 Bushmaster Deerslayer Complete!
I started this build in late November with intention of turning my savage 110 in 30/06 in to a deer legal 450 bushmaster to hunt with in Indiana. How ironic is it that just a week ago the powers that be passed a bill to allow me to hunt with a 30/06 in Indiana, when we where told that it would not be brought back in the foreseeable future. Oh well I am still very happy that I took this project on because the great deal of knowledge I learned through out the process. I am pretty sure I am full blown plum crazy addicted to messing with savage rifles now! I cant wait to start my next build, and get into reloading as soon as possible. I have been shooting and hunting since I was 9 years old and I learned more this last few months about the in and outs of my equipment then I have all the prior years combined. Thanks for all the advise that I received and all past post that have offered great advise to other posters. Here are a few pics of my new rifle, its not perfect but I learned along the way on how to make the next one better. Yes I did mare my paint already, yes I said a few curse words after it happen.

Fully understand the Savage build fever. I just finished a 450B build on an Axis action. With Savage giving away the heavy barrel models for under $200 after rebate I have been thinking about stuffing a few in the closet for future "impulse" builds. I also built a 6.8SPC on an Axis action and have started another 6.8 on a MDT chassis. I hesitate to think how many I would have had I known what I know now, back when Axis rifles were going for less than $100 after rebates. Hollar when you start the next one. Share the joy, so to speak.

thatguyshm
04-29-2016, 12:32 PM
Question for ya. I know this has been here for awhile, but I am working on a similar but completely different idea. :)

So I just picked up a 110 rifle cheap, after spending all of yesterday running around to everywhere looking for a 10/11 rifle. Asides from brand new, and two that were over priced, one being a bottom bolt release, I could not find any. I am going to be building the misses a 6mm BR for our wedding as a gift. Rather than epoxy a short action mag into the stock, thoughts on picking up a short action follower and spring, and putting an aluminum block in the rear of the magazine box? It would appear the lips are long enough to hold the case, and if the block is machine properly, there wouldn't be any front to back wiggle. That way if she wants to switch to a long action later down the road, we won't have to get a new stock.

Did you use a baffle to shorten the throw or is it still long action length?

What did you use for pillars?

Thanks for any help.

SHM

Warrick
05-14-2016, 10:23 PM
I believe it would work but I found the mag to be sensitive to feeding if not set at the right height. With anything like this you will have to work at it and it may take a few tries to get it right. I just had limited tools and time so epoxy was the best option for me.

I love to hear someone thinking outside the box on what is possible and what is not ! Good luck.